BYYB Forums

Full Version: Seagull problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I was getting ready to put some gas into my Seagull and give it a test run after setting up for over two years. The fuel valve was not attached to the tank any more and where it use to be there is a lot of white powder. I don't know what failed, the tank or the valve but as scarce as replacement parts are I have a bad feeling. Tomorrow I will take a closer look at it.
Hey Ed, don't be discouraged. That is the beauty of these little motors, replacement parts are readily available..... just do a quick google you will find numerous sources.

Is that the 5 hp motor you bought from me? I thought you were going to get something a little smaller. Are you going to launch your boat this year?
Yep it's the same motor, it will take the 5 hp to move the PC. I hope to launch in June if we do our thing at Lanier, I wory about trying to tow very far because I don't have any thing strong enough to pull it. All I need is a rudder handle and blade, sail and boom crutch.
I got the tank off and it is eat up with rust inside, the fuel valve is choked up with a white oxidation. The drain plug and tank fill cap were frose up with rust. The only replacement tank I was able to find is $160. Keith has suggested finding a lawnmore tank and making it fit.
Ed, wander down to the local motorcycle shop and pick up a tank sealing kit, before you try to cobble up a grass muncher tank into a headache. The kit will have a couple of chemicals in it (usually) and it will seal up most holes and lock down the rust. It's not hard to do, just follow the directions on the can. Place some small, pea sized stones in the tank (several hand fulls), put the cap back on (or tape it closed), then shake the hell out of it. When you've shaken as much as your body can take, shake it some more. Not only is it good exercise for your upper body, but the stones will knock the rust loose and you can dump it out with the stones. It makes for a better job and the goo you'll be putting in the tank will not have to work as hard locking down flaky, scaled rust areas. I also remember a section at WestSystem.com on making 'glass tanks from epoxy and cloth. I suspect it has had some issues from the EPA by now, but worth checking into.
Ed I think I may have found you a tank for your seagull. Check out www.ebay.co.uk you will find lots of engines and parts for your seagull. Here is one tank you could have shipped out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...4627766049

This is a very nice looking tank and you may get it cheap. There are others available as well

Keith
SCrew that Ed... sorry Kieth.... get the tank treatment, this is very, very common..... in the future try to store it full, even if the fuel fouls you don't get the rust.... Have you used the MMO on the ol' gal? It really IS the Marvelous Mystery OIL, pour a little right down both cylinders and move everthing arond a little... just slowly crank it over a time or two... just enough to move the MMO....

You gotta get the rust out, note the little screen filter..... you gotta get the tank treated good and then you will have some flakes of rust, clean fuel filter blow it off etc. and bleed it good before reattaching.. there wll continue to be little pesky flakes that were in the system.... just keep working it for a few minutes... away we go......