BYYB Forums

Full Version: Speed under Power
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just curious what kind of speed "mph" you were getting out of your weekender with how much hp.  I had jenny out yesterday and I use a 4hp suzuki 4stroke and from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle I avg 4.4 mph and at full throttle i get about 5.6mph, is this about right?  I still have been toying with idea of selling the heavy 4hp and buying a lighter 2.5 suzuki.
You'll go the exact speed with the 2.5 HP outboard. 5.6 MPH is 1.35 the speed/length ratio, which is right on target for a displacement boat, though you will not have much "reserve" for punching through chop, contrary winds and currents. A 10 HP outboard will get you to 9 MPH, but the bow will be pointing skyward.
I should try out my 15 hp gamefisher just for fun. It weighs 1lb more than my 4hp suzuki. and is the same size but doesn't hold 1.5lt of gas like the suzuki does.            So should I trade down to a smaller engine?  You've seen the pics of my motor hanging on the back of the boat, it looks huge.
The 15 HP outboard will push you to about 11 MPH, but the bow will be way up in the air. If you install a ventilation plate wing (DolFin) on the outboard, you'll bring down the bow a touch, maybe enough to get the boat to plane off. If you can climb over the bow wave, she'll scoot up to 15 MPH, maybe more if you can trim her down at the bow. If you install an asymmetric wing under the stern, then you can probably get up to 20 MPH with the 15 HP outboard. You'll need about 4 sq. ft. of surface area (one side) on this wing to prevent the stern from squatting at speed. This is a trick I use on my riverboat designs to permit a pure displacement speed houseboat to travel at 2.5 S/L ratios on a small outboard. On my 33' Floom design, a 50 HP outboard can run at 16 MPH, which is just unheard of in a 33' houseboat, without a small block Chevy gobbling up fuel, like a sailor on leave.

Your 4.4 HP is fine for your needs, though a little more engine then you really need. If it's me, I don't care what size it is, so long as I have neutral and reverse gears. To me having the ability to idle and reverse the engine, is more important then anything else.
Good point on the forward, neutral, and reverse gears paul.  I forgot that all the small engines are forward and neutral only lol. If you want reverse you have to swivel the engine 160 degrees.  Currently i just throw it in reverse and use the rudder.

Was just currious on the 15hp engine as its the same size as my new 4hp suzuki. (damned heavy 4strokes)    I'll keep it for my RIB.
Hey Mike, my computer has been upgraded and it took 7 days so I have not been online. I LOVE my 2hp Honda, it goes fast as I need and is great on fuel. Seems like your 15 hp would kinda ruin your Weekender. Better to build a sled for the 15 hp to have fun on.