BYYB Forums

Full Version: planning a super skipjack build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello:
my name is bob lee, i'm planning a super skipjack build (plans being ordered) and i think this site will be a great resource.
i do have a few questions before i get started that may impact my planning, any help would be great!
1: how many feel strongly about fiberglass on the hull?
2: does anyone epoxy (i would assume this seals it?) the hull but not actually fiberglass it?

I'm fairly handy and have done alot of woodwork in the past, including a skipjack 30 yrs ago with my dad! my wife and i sail alot off of vancouver island (chartering) but i want something to mess around with locally since getting to the coast is always a challenge. the super skipjack looks like a good first project, but i dont want to overspend on it (fiberglass) if i don't need to.

looking forward to the process!
Greetings, Bob!

I don't know if I feel strongly about fiberglassing the hull, but I do know that I don't like fiberglassing.  I also know it is definitely the way to go.  The advantages--waterproofing, abrasion protection, appearance--just totally outweigh the challenges.

Cost-wise, the epoxy is the expensive part, not the fiberglass.  If you are going to epoxy the outside anyway, perhaps you should just go ahead and glass it.

The good thing is that you don't have to make that call right now; there is a lot of boatbuilding between now and the day you have to decide. 

Since you have been involved in a build before, you already know that the most important thing is to get started.   
thanks for the thoughts! i'm looking forward to the plans arriving so i can start looking at materials, and setting a date to get it in the water Smile

anyone in alberta done a weekender or skipjack? i'd love to have a look if there is one in the calgary area
Part of the decision to fiberglass or not is partly related to your wood choice.  Most spruce/pine/fir plywood is rotary cut.  This can cause the veneers to crack or check over time even with resin on it.

Personally - being cheap - I used bathroom underlay for the 1/4" plywood on many of my projects and only coated them.  I've had some minor problems with cracking but nothing much.  On my Weekender though I fiberglassed that too.
Do yourself a big favor and research some modern building techniques. Bateau.com is a good place to look as is Glen-L.com. The plans include suggestions for adhesives and assembly that may be cheaper, but often aren't as long lived or as strong and water proof as other choices. To this consider epoxy your only real choice for under water applications, regardless of what the plans say. With epoxy and modern building methods (taped seam techniques, Payson butt joints, etc.) you can insure a very strong, water tight project that will not come back a haunt you a few years from now.