BYYB Forums

Full Version: Flag Halyard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How have people rigged a flag halyard on a Weekender?  The ensign flies at the peak of the gaff, but what's the other end fixed to?

Dave
Mine went to the boom.  The line was a pain when lowering the main if you forgot it.  Next time I will use clips on the sail its self I think.
Craig:  I think clips on the sail may be the easiest and least haassle!

Dave
I believe that according to flag protocol on a sloop like the Weekender, the ensign should fly from a staff on the starboard stern quarter.  I actually have a bracket I made that I put one of those car-window flags on for my Weekender.

A good sized flag flown about 3/4 the way up the leach of the sail does look pretty though.

There's a discussion plus some useful links in this thread http://byyb.org/forum/index.php?topic=2723.0
Flag halyards from the spreader are usually tied off on the lower shrouds, though could also be brought to the mast base or cabin top.

An ensign should be approximately 1" for every foot of boat length, to "scale" properly on your boat. A Weekender will carry an 18" ensign.
I just added a bracket to hold a flagstaff on the starboard side of the transom.  Appropriate, yet no flag hassles!

Dave