BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Grreetings, all!

My Weekender build has begun.  Okay, actually, I've just built the building stand, but it's a start!

She will be the fourth boat I've built, and these are some of the modifications from the original design I have in mind:
1.  Paul is designing a neat new keel, stem and rudder for me.
2.  The hull will be primarily assembled using stitch and glue (my first boat, a Glen-L Console Skiff, was stitch and glue, so I have experience).
3.  She will have some type of hollow mast.

Outside, above the waterline, she will look pretty much standard (except for the new stem).  Of course, we'll see how all this plays out over the course of the construction.  That's part of the fun of boat building--all the "happy accidents" and "on the fly" engineering that come along.

I've read extensively back through the archives, which has been incredibly helpful.  I plan on taking full advantage of all your experiences recorded there.

Kurt Ayres
Avon, Illinois
Welcome!  Please post pictures as you build!

Dave
Soounds like an interesting project.  Yes, lease share the photos with us. 8)8)8)
Kurt, please give us an idea of what you're doing with your keel (attaching the keel to the hull rather than attach the hull to the keel.  [isn't that the same thing???]  And what kind of keel, stem, and rudder is Paul designing?  a "new and improved" weekender?  what will be the purpose of the new keel system?  please help me fill in the gaps.  Best to you in the building process.
David Johnson
Greetings, David!

The standard Weekender build has you make the keel and stem first, which gives the shape to the bottom, and thus, the rest of the boat.  My boat won't have the massive keel, but instead the keel that runs the length of the boat will be the size of a 2x4 (it will be actually be 2 1x4's), and there will be a fin keel hanging from that.  The stem that Paul has designed for me is much smaller than the stock stem as well, and instead of the side planking attaching to the stem, the stem will fit "over" the side planking.  Without the standard keel/stem, I have to use a building stand to get the right shape to the bottom.  It's been quite a challenge so far, but I've built several boats so I'm willing to go out on a limb this time.

The new keel will have the advantages of the shape of "modern" sailboats--less leeway, better maneuverability, perhaps better pointing, but it will still draw only 18" of water, which really matters where I sail.

The thread with my building progress is "Arwen."  I am just coming off a two week vacation where I got a lot done, and need to update the forum by posting some photos.

Kurt AyresÂ