BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pics of old boats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spent last weekend at Cervia, a nice town in the North Adriatic Sea near Ravenna, where my daughter had a Optimist regatta (B.T.W. 2nd position cadet).
I had the chance to take some pictures with my mobile phone to old typical wooden boats that I've loaded in the following gallery:

http://byyb.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=108&page=1
I hope they can be of some interest.

Gianluigi
Nice, thank you. Much bigger than the Weekenders we talk about on these pages, but very pretty all the same. I got most of my sailing experience on old boats, and still have a soft spot in my heart for them. But I can't afford the time and money they need... That's why I am now dreaming of a very small easy boat, and one I can manage all by myself, so I don't need to discuss anything with any other owners!
Greetings Gianluigi,

Lovely photos. Thanks for posting them.

So, every day I have been watching the Giro d'Italia, arguably the finest of the grand tours. And every day, in between the shots of the cyclists battling it out out on the roads traversing Italy, the cameramen in the chase helicopters pan back and show the beautiful countryside that the Giro traverses. It is like watching a tourism video of Italy. The second day was Alba to Parma. Lately the Giro has been running down the coast of the Tirreno sea, with its white sand beaches and aquamarine waters. The funny thing is that the beaches are all empty because everybody is standing up by the road to catch a glimpse of the peloton as it streams by at 40 or 50 kph. Because of this, every time the helicopters pass by a sailboat sailing along the coast, they zoom in for a closeup so the captain and crew can wave, presumably because these are the only people not watching the Giro. And every time, I think, "Where is Gianluigi and his Weekender?"

Do you have any plans to be sailing along the route of the Giro as they come back around to head north along the Adriatico?

I am guessing that Pink colored sails (just like the Maglia Rosa) would guarantee a close-up visit from the television helicopters.

Smile

Cheers,
Tom
(05-15-2011, 03:30 AM)tombayus link Wrote:...
Do you have any plans to be sailing along the route of the Giro as they come back around to head north along the Adriatico?
Cheers,
Tom
Tom,
My home is far few hundreds of METERS from a beautiful lake in the spot more indicated to advanced sailing. I can be really lazy, I reach my Weekender walking or riding my bike and when Wind speed is above 10 knots (often) I come back and practice windsurfing, see below how I arranged to carry all equipments (that rude man is not me but a friend of mine).
Sometime I plan to sail in the sea, but I have to buy a road trailer and the car hitch. With the same money I can charter for several times something of bigger directly on the sea. Nevertheless I think I'll purchase all that and my dream is to participate soon or later to Vela Raid http://www.velaraid.it/eng/index.html

Gianluigi[attachment=1]
Greetings Gianluigi,

You are fortunate to live so close to the water. Same with you Timo.

I was watching Stage 13 of the Giro, and the chase helicopter was shooting video as the peloton rolled through Cesenatico and over the canal. There were at least eight antique wooden boats anchored in the canal on either side of the bridge with their sails hoisted for display (very little wind) and it looked to me like one of the boats was this very one ...

[Image: normal_IMG00251.jpg]

Is that star pattern on the sail a common emblem? Or is it unique to that vessel?

If it is unique, then she was at Cesenatico, and the helicopter pivoted around her for a full 360 view. A few minutes before, the helicopter had shot a close-up of a more modern sailboat reaching up the coast. I am sure the pilots get board chasing the peloton for five hours each day and they must welcome little diversions along the way.

Maybe next year, after you get your trailer, you can become part of the picturesque scenery of the Giro.  Smile

Cheers,
Tom