BYYB Forums

Full Version: Gaff traveler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Scott shared with me a great idea he had used effectively..... a gaff traveler to help keep things running smoothly. Scott, share it with the gang here, I think it is a great idea and am surprised I had never heard of it.
quick description then more later:

I run the line from the cockpit, to a single block at the base of the mast, to a double block (throat halyard occupies one side) at the lower mast point, to a single block on a rope traveller (middle 2-3' of mast), to a single block hight on the mast, and tied to the end of the gaff. As you can see in the picture, this method keeps the lines from running parallel to eachother so less tangles. Also, the ability of the middle pulley to move on the traveller when raising the mast makes for smoother raising.

[Image: image015.jpg]
I just finished my running rigging and this sounds like what I have on my boat. Of course Scott did tutor me on my running rigging. I now need a ruder handle and blade, sail and two belaying pins.
Scott,
I hope I'm not just dense in addition to being partially blind. :roll: I'm trying to see from your wonderful photo just what you are talking about. I follow the concept to some extent but would like to have a better photo or a nice drawing that I can refer to. Cuz I see a beautiful pocket cruiser moving along with a nicely formed main sail and a mast. My poor eyes just don't pick up the details from this photo. :lol:

I know you had good success with your system and I'm interested in seeing how that rigging was set up.

Thanks
I have a diagram and a better picture:

[Image: peak.jpg]

The diagram is numbered with the line running from a camcleat on the cabin top.

Here is a closer picture that shows the seperation between the lines:

[Image: peak2.jpg]

sorry, looks like my photo editor sucks. But it should be clear enough.
Gaff bridals, I have seen these on charter schooners with steel spars. They seem work very smoothly. Does the peak fall smooth and fast Scott? MIne seems to want to stick unless the jaws are loosed too.
Gaff Bridals...I forgot that term. Yes, I pulled that rig from the catboat book so it is an actual historical way of rigging the peak. The peak on my sail had no problem falling down fast and smooth. No problems going up either. The jaws would bind when trying to raise the throat halyard when the gaff was at extreme angles (when the peak was full up or down) so I did have to use both sheets when raising or striking the sail. However, I very often would sail up to the dock and then drop my sails the last minute to coast in so my setup worked rather well. I also had no problems in adjusting the gaff for different wind conditions either giving the sail more bag in lighter winds or making her flat in higher winds.
Scott, did you shackle two blocks together or does the shackle simply ride on the rope traveler without a block?
The shackle just ran on the bridal. No need for a pulley there.