BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Builder in TX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy everyone. My name is Ken Hill. I have been an avid sailor from when I could walk (including a stint in the US Navy). I have bought a few different sailboats (used) that later I discovered had not been taken care of during previous ownership. I figure the best way to know I'm getting a good quality boat (without paying for a new one) is to build it myself. At this point, I haven't ordered any plans because I am still torn between the Super Skipjack and the Weekender. My wife has gone sailing with me a few times on a small daysailor and wasn't too keen on being tipped over or getting to close to the water.

So basically, I wanted to introduce myself and get some opinions from those who have built the Skipjack and the Weekender on how they handle in light and strong winds and any other information you care to throw out. Also, would like to know if there are any builders in the central Texas area.

Thanks again!!
You wife would feel more comfortable on a PC rather then the Skipjack or Weekender. It's higher initial stability will be reassuring. This said she may just not like the motion of a mono hull, so a cat or tri may be the best route as they don't heel very much at all.
The leaning is PART of what had scared her because once we 'leaned' too far and went over (and she doesn't like being in water that is not clear = TX waters). However, the PC sits higher off the water than this small daysailer we had so I think that will help ease her fear. I would love to build a cat or tri but I'm trying to keep the weight and simple trailerability to a minimum. I'm beginning to lean towards the PC over the Super Skipjack. How does the PC handle in light or heavy winds? I do want some kind of performance when it is just me, but with the wife I am looking for a design that is more stable.

Hope this makes sense. In my head it does, but that filter from brain to mouth (or keyboard) tends to garble my thoughts.
Hey Ken, go online and look up the Columbia 150 run. Its on U tube also and the article is in Small Craft Adviser Mag. You will find the Weekender in some wind and the other boats double reefing or dropping their sails completely! I sail a Weekender and find her to be pretty tough. We sail San Francisco Bay and run 120 miles into Stockton Ca.  several times a year. I thought that I would build the Weekender and sail it some and then build a real boat but it still surprises me with its ability to handle  rough conditions. Good Luck, Warren
I watched the video. I know I want to build the PC now, but knowing it will probably take me 5 months to build is making me think I should build the Super Skipjack first. I think I could finish it before summer ends (and salvage some good sailing season) which at that point I would start the PC build. Not sure though. I'm very indecisive when it comes to which boat because I can see myself in both having fun (in their separate ways). Decisions... decisions....
Also forgot to ask, but is there any weekends, PC, vacs, or jacks in TX? Seeing one in person might be the final straw to make the decision on which boat to go with first. Thanks again.
Ken, The Stevenson's Bat Cave is in Center Point Texas. A phone call might get you into the innersanctum of the Stevenson's. They have been by our shop several times and I can tell you from my experience you will enjoy talking with them. mayhaps you would see a boat or two. Also there is a member map on line but I forgot how to get to it. Hope some member will get us the addy. ;D
Ken;
    I started building our Weekender last May with hopes of sailing by Fall, it's almost May again with hopes of sailing this Fall, "That's Just Life" and I have learned that here more then anywhere else, these "Old Farts & Fartetts" are a wealth of knowledge to those of us building for the first time.
    JoeDee's Song will be done when it's done, sailed when it's ready and with the advise we have gotten from BYYB will be a sailboat that we can be "Very Proud Of".

Alan
Ken. build the boat you want! Then learn to sail it safely and your wife will feel safe in it. Planning two boats is dangerous, you might build the small one and wear yourself out before finishing the one you want.
Lots of good advice! I can tell this board will be a great place to go to for questions. I haven't started building yet and I'm getting good advice. Well, I have decided on the PC. Will be ordering plans this week!!