BYYB Forums

Full Version: Nyloboard Keel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I still feel a little pain when I think about the rot and insect devastation on my last keel.  I was thinking about using Nyloboard next time:

http://nyloboard.com/products/sheet-goods

Just for the keel, the rest of the boat would be wood.  It's expensive but comes in regular plywood dimensions and can be ordered in extremely long dimensions.  I put a piece directly on the ground in the back yard for an entire year and it still looks like the day it came in the mail.
Hi Jon!  Let's get Paul's input.  Repost the question on the Builder's Board.  You'll get a quicker response.

Dave
If you are going to use epoxy I would worry about the epoxy binding to the nyloboard.  An experiment would probably be in order. 
Greetings all,

There is not too much info on exactly what is in the Nyloboard, but it appears to be recycled carpet fibers (which would be nylon, olefin, and/or polyester fibers) bound together with a polyurethane resin. So the question is ... does epoxy bond well to polyurethane?

Cheers,
Tom
I would not think so Tom.  Sounds to me like this stuff is just recycled plastic.  Good for mechanical attachment methods but epoxy will not stick to it well at all.
I will clean my sample up and try some two part epoxy on it.  I expect it will probably not work well with epoxy.  I expected I would have to attach it via mechanical means.
Rough a couple pieces up and see what 5200 does with it.  A combonation of mechanical and tough sealer adhesives may do the trick.  Just guesing here though Jon.