BYYB Forums

Full Version: Super Skipjack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I see since I was on here last the Stevenson's have added the Super Skipjack to the line.  It sure is pretty!  So at first brush it looks like it's just as capable as a Weekender but with one fewer bulkhead and minus all the cabin top construction.  It seems to me with the addition of a simple boom tent I could have a sweet little boat that sleeps as many as the Weekender.  It seems like all one loses is having some place to hide from the elements while underway.

I did a search on the forum and came up with nothing.  Does anybody know of a good Super Skipjack construction thread.
I don't know about a continuous build thread but I can post a few pictures.  I think a couple of Super Skipjacks have been completed already.  I used to guage my progress agains Bob Booska but I think like me, he maybe is at a standstill with his progress.  I had hopes for a quick finish but life/health/weather have all gotten in the way.  I haven't done a thing since last September.  The weather is cool; we are barely breaking 50 degrees and I'm not 100% in the health catagory so it will be slow and steady as she goes.
Hello Jon,I have one around here some where but have not added to it in some time as I moved the boat to a storage building when I saw It was going to take longer than I hoped,I barely have room for my tools and the boat so I havnt taken any new pixs in a while.

Life does not cooperate and now a First grandkid on the way,Boat is not a high priority but I do have a nice Jib sail over my bed,with Mainsail rolled up on pvc hangin from the ceilin Smile

I believe Mark is correct in that there are at least 2  Skipjacks that have been completed  Here.

Lookin Good Mark,How'bout a friendly"who can take the longest time to build a Boat" Contest Wink

Bob.
Wow thanks guys!  Keep those photo's coming.  Try to do a little something every week, eventually you will be done. Wink  Mine took a couple of years last time around.  I hope to move much faster this time.
Bob there's a contest I would love to lose.  It's definitely hard to stay motivated when you only get a 2-3hr chunk of time to work.    I'm hoping to free up a couple of days in row to just work and hopefully get the bug again.  I would love to get on the water this summer.   

Jon here's a link to a completed Super Skipjack on the Stevenson's website.  I hope mine turns out half as good.

http://www.stevproj.com/SkipBBB1.html
    I read something here or somewhere else about a home built sailboat called Stolen Moments where the builder was able to walk away from what he was doing and pick up again where he had left off, minutes here and there add up.  We have that type of set up again now with Spring on the way, plug in the boat shed and glue and screw a few.

Alan
That's one of the great things about when you're able to have the project somewhere where you're going to bump into it all the time.

You'll ignore it for weeks or more but then one day you'll think "I'll just sand this spot here a bit" and the next thing you know you've got the next big part done.

I think we've all gone through stages with these rather large projects where they get shoved aside by "life".  For me, it took me 3 years to build my Weekender.  I've heard of other people who've done it in 3 months.