BYYB Forums

Full Version: new to forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ahoy all.

My name is Al Stead.  I live in Duluth Mn at the far west end of Lake Superior.  I built my Weekender over the winter last year and managed to launch last July.  Her name is Jumping Duck, after our dear departed australian shepard.  I chose the weekender as a project for her simple construction, practicality, and suitability for my purposes.  Her character was a consideration, but not the main one. 

For various reasons, I only got her out a dozen times last summer.  Mostly I spent a lot of time changing and fixing shortcomings that I found each time I took her out.  This seemed to work out because the last outing was in a word, glorious.  I laid her up early because I had to get to training my sled dogs, an indeavor that consumes most of the day from Sept. to April.  However over the winter I did manage to haul her into the shop for some upgrades to her finish and addition of necessary equipment for next year.

My plans for her are to cruise the border lakes of northern Minnesota, and eventually trailer her just about everywhere.  It is pretty sweet being retired.

Al
Hey Al, fairly new to the boards myself, welcome aboard.

Good to see another MNer here and as you can tell from my Pic yep I do sledding also,  nothing serious, just run a bunch of Sybs I've got 4 here and my Uncle has a kennel in MI and we have 26 up there (I think this is the first year I've ever said I can't wait until it warms up and summer gets here hehe, really wanted to get more done on the boat but just couldn't with the cold).
  I live about 50 miles south of MSP (Faribault).  I'm retired Navy and did a bit of sailing while I was in.  Just starting my Vacationer but hoping to get her on the lakes before the end of the summer.    Did you take your boat out on Superior at all?  I'm planning on doing a trip up there next summer hitting the islands and Isle Royale.
hey Jim,

Yah, I've been working siberians for about 40 years now, and had to stop running because it isn't a very good idea for me to fall on either of my new hips.  I cut my kennel down from 50 to 28 with 12 of them too old to run like me.  Because I can't chase huskies anymore, I needed a new skill to learn.  Sailing seems to be just the ticket. 

So far I am sticking to the inland lakes because they offer real good landings and enough room to practice without having to deal with ice water.  I live about 8 miles from one of the safe harbors, but Lake Superior doesn't appeal to me that much.  I think I am more of a gunkholer.  I am champing at the bit to hit the waters of Voyagers National Park. 

Unless something happens, I will be at the L Pepin messabout.  I am going to try to be ready to work out of the boat exclusively as practice for sailing the wilderness waters.  Looking forward to that. 

I dawdled on my build.  Try not do that.  Get her on the water next year if you can.  It will be worth it.

Al
Had a reunion once in Duluth, Pretty little city. Was looking at pics in the hotel that was on the beach. Beautiful shots of the summer then I walked around the corner and saw the ice breaker pic, yeouwww! Not many sailors using that water, too bad cause it was beautiful but  cold even with the 105 degree summer weather. Maybe you could design some skids for that Weekender for the hard water winters! Happy sailing, Warren ;D
The first summer I spent in Duluth the ice breaker was trying to bust a trail to the port in the middle of June.  I fell in love with the place right then and there. 

Al
Ahoy Al and welcome to the BYYB mate.