BYYB Forums

Full Version: Keel screws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy folks,

As I stare at these keel screws in the bottom of my boat(skipjack)I wonder would it be a good or bad idea to
take them out,drill out a bit and fill with epoxy?

Bob.
A lot depends on how you made the keel, what wood you used, how effective you epoxy coating was preformed, what the screws are made of, etc.

If you used good encapsulation techniques and bonded the fasteners, then you have little to worry about. If on the other hand you just drove them into raw wood, you'll probably have issues later.
Well lets see,I got two layers of standard not so great 1x12's screwed n glued together with epoxy and again to the hull,with pilot ho's.
Hull bottom and keel fillet about 1/2",epoxied with cloth the hull bottom and keel....what a mess

The screws into the keel...no epoxy and they are brass,ceramic coated torx,three rows, one down the center joint and one down the center of each 1x12.

Bob.
You'll have to be more specific about the screws, as I've never heard of ceramic coated brass.
Well niether did I until I looked at the box,this one says Bronze ceramic coat,I think I said brass above.
Those are mild steel decking screws, the type used on the back porch of your house, not a boat. They're painted with a specific type of paint coating to resist the corrosion of the new CA chemicals in pressure treated wood. Other then temporarily holding something down, they have no business on a boat.

Well then I guess I should remove them .

Thanx,Bob.
Hey Paul, I would just like to say that we are extremely lucky to have you as a resource on this site. You have saved countless builders future problems and headaches! And that includes me! A greatful builder. Warren Percell. ;D
Warren, I knew that twenty dollar bill I mailed you a month or so ago, would come in handy sooner or later . . .
Hahahaha!