BYYB Forums

Full Version: April fools day Messabout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The SE fleet's spring messabout has come and gone now. There were some highs and lows over the weekend but what do you expect from an April fools gathering. Scott Wiedmier and I met up somewhere along the way on the road while I stopped for lunch. He had some walkie talkies and we convoyed the rest of the way to the campground. We were the first to arrive and not long later Benny, Buds friend, came driving up. He and Bud got seperated at a light and lost touch. Cell reception wasn't that good in the area we were traveling in. We waited for Bud to arrive, but something had slowed him down. Benny decided to drive out and see if he could spot him and came back without any luck. We tried again to call him and Scott got through to a broken up cell phone all he got was broken down- 30 -golfcourse. I checked my gps and just 12 miles from us was a golfcourse. We took my truck down there, by this time it was after dark. There he was on the side of the road. We tried to fix the truck by changing the fuel filter but we had no luck. It was getting late so we hooked up his boat and loaded all his stuff into my truck and headed for camp. Next morning we headed back out to the truck with plans to tow it to the camp. In one last attemp to start it up I found a bleeder valve and purged the air from the fuel. She started right up. What a relief. Later that afternoon Scott and I took his boat out into St Joe Bay. We had an exciting time sailing his 12 footer in the swells. Angie arrived Friday eavning and we enjoyed Kabobs for dinner. I brought along my telescope for nightime entertainment and we looked up at the heavens for a while till the dew settled on my lens.
Saturday was a fine day. Truck problems were gone and the winds were right for sailing. Scott and I took my Vacationer to St. Joe Bay and sailed all that day. Our top speed was 5.3 knots and we sailed approx 14 knotical miles. We had a great time. Scott discovered a new use for double shrouds, and thats all I have to say about that. The bay has a very large area almost void of other boats that day. The water was clear enough to see the shallows which we avoided. The shallow areas were turquise blue and the deeper waters dark blue. We found most of the area to be 25-30 feet deep. The snow white sandy beaches made me think about you guys in the cold climates still slipping in the snow....at least I was thinking of you!

Angie and Bud lauched his PC Magnolia later that day and she looked great out there. She was moving along very well in the best winds of the day. Bud has done a lot of work on her since the Nickajack messabout. She has cherry combings and a fine looking cap rail, his companionway is set up. She's looking really nice.
The sun was dropping fast on us and we had to be out of the park by sundown so we dropped sail and motored towards the ramp. We had to give Bud a tow after his engine stopped and the start cord wouldn't recoil for him. We all made it to the ramp and pullled the boats out. I had mine out first and started packing it up. Bud pulled his out dropped the mast and was on his way 20 minutes before I was ready. Scott recalled how quickly a PC packs up. We finally packed it all in and when we got to the gate of the park it had red lights flashing on it. We just made it out before they closed us in.
It was a great day, we got back to the camp and Benny had dinner ready for us to eat. We had smoked pork with bread and corn on the cob, a variety of drinks and fine company. Unfourtunatly Craig couldn't make it but through his planning several of us SE fleeters had one fine weekend, Thanks Craig
Although we had a few problems along the way, I can qoute the guy who yelled to Bud as we were towing his boat to the dock. "It still beats working!"
I'll get some pics up soon
Keith
It was a great weekend and I really wish Craig and some of the other folks down there in Florida could have come. Ironically, Keith and I were the closest at 7 hour drive but the turqoise water, white sand beaches, beautiful campsite, and Bud's & Benny's cooking made it well worth it. I definitely want to head back to St. Joe's Bay again!

I did discover a couple of things this weekend. Painfully I discovered that 3 coats (put on progressively during the day) of Hawain Tropic, spf 45, all-day, sweatproof, waterproof sunblock wasn't enough to keep me from turning bright red everywhere the Florida sun could hit. I am really going to look into that "engineered" clothing Angie talked about and the kayakers were wearing around our camp. Sadly I discovered that I really miss my Pocket Cruiser and am very impatient to have a bigger boat again. I like my 12' cat but she ain't no Vacationer or Pocket Cruiser when it comes to all-day sailing. Sailing on Keith's beautiful boat with all of the lovingly built-in amenities (including the double shrouds!) made me long for a cruising adventure. Seeing a small trailerable sailboat sail into the beautiful cove and drop anchor for the night while Keith and I were packing up his Vacationer drove this point home. Maybe I should get a used plastic boat to tide me over... maybe not. I also discovered after bouncing around in my 12' boat on 2-3' waves that it just isn't big enough for comfortable sailing on the gulf so I have to give up on the BEER cruise until I have something more suitable.

Thanks to Bud and Benny for all of the great food and stories. Thanks to Keith for letting me sail with him and even captain his Vacationer for long stretches. Thanks to Angie for letting me bend her ear about future boats as well as some good tips on handling the sun. Most of all thanks to Craig for organizing this and getting us together.
The pictures are loaded and a new album has been set up for them. Please check it out in the albums list on the main board or click here
http://byyb.org/cpg143/thumbnails.php?album=31

I know the others who attended took some pictures so please post them for us all to enjoy

Keith
Hey Guys, I made it in at about 4:30 this morning... just over 22 hours. Made it steady to Virginia before I hit the wall and had to take a 2 hour nap at a rest stop. Poor little Cricket is pooped!

Thanks for all the help, we would not have made it out before the gate was locked without the tow. Confusedhock:

If it is just going to be the usual four of us, let's make it closer to home next time. :lol: I are tired! More later.
Looks and sounds like everyone had and great time.

Angie
Did Cricket help with the driving :?: :?:

Kayakarl
We are home safe and sound. All went as well as could be expected. On the bright side we located and reconnected with a long lost cousin who really enjoyed catching up with his relatives. He is the oldest of the grandchildren at 40, just a bit older then my Craig Jr. Grandma was thrilled to have all the "kids" home. I am sure sorry to have missed the doings. By the photos it looks like everyone had a grand time! Did anyone try the launch and water around the Camp ground? I am trying to visualize where you put in. Ole Satan looks a bit domesticated in that photo :lol:
We didn't launch in the water around the campground. On the charts there were just too many shallows with exposed rocks and oyster beds at low tide. Both Bud and I have daggerboards on our boat and the possibility of striking at moderate to high speed... The deeper channel was running with significant current. We watched a fisherman launch his boat, clear the end of the ramp, and make about 3 knots on the current alone!

St. Joe's bay is the one over by the state park. They have some primitive camping beaches we might want to check out next time. Just have to use the boats to ferry everything over...
I was worried about those shoals. I have to rig the camping options for the BEER so will be soon ready for what ever. I keep thinking about a Choctawhatchee Bay sleep aboard cruise.
Looks like ya'll had a great time - sorry we couldn't make it this trip.

[Image: normal_ip17.jpg]

I'm trying to decide if Scott or this sunset is redder - :lol:

Bud, that Magnolia is one pretty boat!

[Image: normal_ip1.jpg]
Hey Keith,
Nice pic's of the trip looks like y'all had fun, Wish i were there as i was here facing my lofting demons. (so i thought) it really wasnt to bad once i got all my measurements on the lines, im starting my boards for the keel front tonight. then i hafta start cutting, Is there any tricks to cutting this thing out? on the top its 3/8" of an inch to the bottom of the board and im not really adept at my circular saw, i mean i can use it i just dont want to
muck it up to bad as i have a hard enough time cutting a straight line
Any advise would be great as i am not quite yet a bonnified woodworker,
(yet)
Thanks in advance.
Bri
Pages: 1 2