BYYB Forums

Full Version: First run !!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
well i got to take her out ,the boat done great .just need to find a better place to sail .I tore off the rudder on some old tree stumps below the water line.
That had to be a dissapointment.  Hang in there, she is scratched now so you don't need to worry about it now.  Fix and enjoy.  Oh yes, keep those photos comming please.
Jason, I just purchased a quick release from Duckworks boat builders supply. Paul told me about it. It would have saved you the destruction and cost is $25. The pressure of the object you hit would have released your rudder. I'm really happy with mine. Good luck.
Just great !!
  Third run today ,I'm hooked .We had some nice winds today ,the best I've had the pleasure of anyway Smile I think around 7mph or so.Took the Serenity Bell out on a little lake in Ripley ,after running around for near a hour on light winds and out running all the boats trolling for trout the winds picked up .Caught some nice wind and the boat began to heel over( i think is the term) ?Thats when it really took off ,got to sail in the heavier wind for 15 mins or so and the rudder handle broke off .So had to drop the sail and get serious about the fishing part of the day .We kept fishing for a few more hrs and  loaded up ,when i was breaking it down to take home i noticed almost all my cable clamps were loose .I had double checked these when i put it together but not after they were loaded .I should have thought of it but didn't . Any way i hope to have all the bugs worked out by summer and plan to have as many hrs in the water by fall as it took to build it ,but if not im sure it will be fun trying  .
  It really is something to get out and enjoy a self made boat ........
Us ice and snow bound sailors are a bit jealous, if we could join you we would. Have fun man. As Craig said keep the pictures coming.

Greg
Jason because things will change position and tension under load a shake down cruise and sea trials are part of any new vessel commissioning.  She can be a 12' row boat or a Battleship the both need this time and exercise to shake out all the little things that fall off or loosen up.  This is just part of the build.  It is also the time when you will find the design weaknesses.  It sounds like you are having a real good time with your boat and things are progressing normally for a new launch.  Not to worry and keep those photos coming.  We are here to help if needed.
Well done Jason, looks good on the anchor; now get someone to take some shots of her sailing. Be a while before I get photos up of my vacationer sailing but I'm enjoying the build anyhow.

Cheers

Gerrard
I don't want to be an old guy telling young guys what to do so I will phrase this in the form of a suggestion.  There seems to be a pretty fair number of Minnesota boat builders on the forum.  Maybe a few of you, as your boats progress or on calmer sailing days where you don't have to give the boat 100% of your attention, would consider forming a midwest, central, or whatever fleet.  The True north fleet is to far north,  and the Erie Fleet to far east.  Minnesota has more then enough water to make it a great choice for a fleet base.  You never know you might even get members from Iowa, the Dakotas or Montana.

From what I can tell of the other fleets the members get together and go sailing on occasion or when a new boat is launched.  The range of fleet activity goes from not much to 3-4 outings a year.  Just something to think about while waiting for the epoxy to cure.
Lookin' Good Jason!
Look's like your having a blast, good looking boat mate. Yes please keep the photo's coming.
I have heard of the shakedown maney times here and see it is a required part of the build.
Gerrard, Where are you at on your vacationer? Do ya have any photo's?

Terry, great idea man! sound's good to me if anyone else speak's up we can get something rolling to form a fleet.
What do ya thing Craig?

Brian.
4th time out
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5