BYYB Forums

Full Version: Looking Ahead...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The monotonous nasal droning of random orbital sanders leaves one's mind to wander, unleashed, to points and subjects far beyond the point at hand. Some of which will never be entered in this forum Confusedhock:

However, I did happen across an unmanaged, somewhat stunted thought. How do you guys mount these trolling motors to the transom? Do you build a bracket of sorts, or does it mount somehow to the taff rails (that doesn't seem right)?
Page 39, Illustration #27, Upper right hand corner. :roll: Big Grin
I'm planning on mounting some steel angle brackets - with appropriate backer blocks inside the lazrette - to the transom. I'll then use that as a mount for a motor when I need one - and when I can afford one. Otherwise I will put a boarding ladder on it.
Quote:Page 39, Illustration #27, Upper right hand corner. :roll: Big Grin

Ya know, some of these illustrations could be a little more "obvious".

:oops: :? Big Grin
Once in a while it is good go back thru the entire builders manual and reflect on why we didn't think of doing just this or that. But instead we spent hours trying to figure out how to make it work. :lol:

I know, I know, Instruction manuals are for those other guys! :roll:

Actually if you are going to use an electric, then place a mount like this one as far to the side as you can. You won't be sorry! When you actually mount the electric, or gas engine, you don't want to be chewing up your nice rudder with the prop. Confusedhock:

The 1/2" thick transom plus a good solid section of 3/4" thick wood is plenty unless you are planning on using a real gas guzzler that vibrates all over the place. In any case, it would pay to thru bolt the mount to the transom and drill out the holes oversize and line them with say 1/2" CPVC Pipe epoxied into place. (Fits perfectly in a 5/8" hole.) Then bolt thru the holes in the pipe using large fender washers instead of allowing contact with the wood. Vibration from a gas engine will work on the surrounding wood fibers rather quickly. Better to have the threads work on the inside of the CPVC Pipe section than the plywood of your transom.