BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hello from central California!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just ordered my set of Weekender plans!  Very excited to get started!

Jake
Welcome Jake...

I am building in Napa...where in Central are you?  I went with Warren Percell (a builder here) and 2 other weekender builder out sailing on the SAC Delta a few months back...

WHere will you be sailing?

Good luck...with your build...I am a few months ahead...with starts and stops in the build...here is a link to my building blog so you can see where I am at...

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/20361

matt
Hello Matt!  I'm about 4-ish hours south of you in the sprawling metropolis of Visalia (45 minutes south of Fresno).  I plan to sail mostly on Millerton Lake.  It is located just NE of Fresno and appears to have an established sailing community.  Another much smaller lake that I plan to sail is just south west of Bakersfield.  There are two lakes within the Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area; one of which is restricted to sailboats and "slow moving" powerboats.  Kaweah Lake is located just to the east of Visalia, however, I'm not sure that conditions are very favorable for sailboats.  Just waiting for my plans to arrive.  As soon as they do, I will start studying and purchasing materials.  After I start construction, I will be sure to post my progress.  Good luck with your build as well!  I am sure that I may solicit some advice and share ideas with you and other forum members in the near future.

Cheers!

Jake
Hi Jake, welcome aboard. My brother-in-law was the chief naturalist retired now, at Sequoia Nat'l park and they still live in the park. I sailed my weekender in the lake leading to the park but don't remember the name of it. I would hope you might like to join our group sometime. We are the "Left Coast Cruisers"and Matt is a member.
Hello Warren!  Thanks for the warm welcome!  I would love to join up with your group sometime.  Thanks for the invitation!  The lake you sailed on was Lake Kaweah located just west of the town of Three Rivers.  The area is known as the gateway to the Sequoias.  Decent sized lake when close to full capacity.  It gets a little busy with power boaters mid summer.  I hope there is some good sailing up there because it's the closest large body of water to my home (~20 minute drive).  Talk to you soon. 

Cheers!

Jake 
How about Lake Huntington?  I heard it was a really good sailing lake...and there are several yacht clubs and regular regattas...with camping and/or cabin rentals nearby...but somehow though in the sierras the wind comes through...?

ANy familiarity?
Definitely..... I forgot to mention Huntington Lake.  Very scenic location!  High mountain lake located in the pines.  You are correct; sailing is very popular at Huntington Lake.  Fresno Yacht Club is very active up there as well as at Millerton Lake.  I will sail there for sure!  Check the Fresno Yacht Club web site for more detailed sailing info. 

Cheers!

Jake
OK Jake, lets see some pics of the keel etc. I'm getting the urge to sail that lake in the pines you talked about. Want to sail south this summer. Still need to do the topsides of Rosebud and then she will be ready. Warren
No plans yet......still waiting.  Will post pics asap!

Jake
Take a look at our trip to the Sea of Cortez my son and I made some time back. We went down through Tucson. Go to my son's website and scroll down. We were there 3 weeks and it was a blast.
<keithpercell.com> Enjoy. Warren