BYYB Forums

Full Version: Building the Atkin sailing dinghy "Vintage"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For anyone who might be interested in following the progress of a relative newbie, building a traditional round-bottom boat...

The goal is to build the William Atkin designed [URL=http://"http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/Vintage.html"]"Vintage"[/URL] in time for the "I Built It Myself" show at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic, CT.

Why "Vintage"? Several reasons.

First, I think it's time I tackled a round-bottom boat. Again, I think this is a project that is way above my current skill level, but I'm a real believer in the adage that people can do more than they think they can. Just because I doubt my ability to build such a complicated boat, is no reason to not do it.

Sounds weird, right? Ah well...

Read Blog Post: Building "Vintage"

[Image: Vintage-1.gif]

Clear lumber: John
Now "that"'s a pretty little boat.
Can't open the link  ???
Thanks for supplying the missing link.

Well, I broke two battens today, trying to loft one of the buttock lines. A really tight curve. Guess I need a 1/4" batten, but I'm out of steam for tonight.

Tomorrow's another day!

-- John

(02-07-2011, 05:11 PM)Andrew_Butchart link Wrote:Now "that"'s a pretty little boat.

I think so to. There are some really nice pics on this page (not mine so I can't post them here...)

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos...index.html

Just looking at those curves scares me! No idea how I'm going to build this baby. One step at a time...
Battens are one of those things that professional boat builders take for granted, I think. They've seen them since their first apprentice days, know what they look like, their different sizes, which batten is right for which curve, and on and on.

Not so for we poor amateurs trying to learn boat building out of books. I must admit they are still a bit of a mystery to me. Such a simple tool. So important. So easy to break!

Read blog post: Battered By Battens

Clear wood: John

[Image: DSCN4150.jpg]
John, you seem to have flooded the wood working and boat building sites with links to your blog. Isn't your blog good enough? Is it necessary to seemingly shout, in a half a dozen or more sites about your issues, discoveries and newbie experiences, as a boat builder on a relatively insignificant 10' dinghy?

For example, your membership on this forum and also over at MessingAbout, Cruisers & Sailing, Australia's Wood Work Forum, BoatDesign.net and who knows where else, have been created solely to self promote this lapstrake endeavor of yours. I mean really, Australia too! Do you think this is just a little over the top? Maybe your enthusiasm would be best spent on your project and updating your own blog. I wonder how much more you've have done on both, had you not spent countless hours signing onto discussion forums and creating a whole bunch more little blogs, about the same thing.
Ya Paul
I betcha that his project is not 'insignificant" to him...let him have his fun...it ain't hurting anyone