BYYB Forums

Full Version: Flipping the Vacationer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Kocher

Hi all,

So I am ready to flip my Vacationer over to fiberglass the bottom and am wondering what is the best way to do it - build a frame around the hull and roll it on that, just get a bunch of people, pick it up and flip it (it seems awful big for that), or what?

Thanks,

John K.

John Kocher

Never mind... Brute force 'n ignorance (plus about a dozen neighbors) did the job.

John K.
Yup, just roll 'er on over.... Big Grin

Ignorance is bliss, and an art form to some of us, especially me :lol:
I have actually rolled the boat over by myself with a Come-a-long and my wifes couch cushions. :roll: I won't use her cushions again, but I may have to roll the boat by myself. These boats are pretty dang solid, so I don't even worry about it.

My wife, son and I can flip the Vacationer with no problem, with just Alaskan muscle power. My son and I make the lift, while my wife steadies the boat until we get around to the other side to let her down.

I usually stack a few tires under the bow and stern if I plan to leave her long.

When I was constructing the Vacationer, I built a cradle that fit over the cabin with the long runners going down the deck for support. Attached some casters and rolled her around as needed.

Mike

[Image: normal_Boat_Rolling.JPG]

John Kocher

Mike,

You're right - the actual rolling wasn't that big a deal. Since it was the afternoons entertainment for the neighbors I had all the help I could want. My concerns were mainly with how unwieldy it might have been (it just looks so darn big!), and trying to keep the pressure off the edge of the hull just above the deck (no rubrails yet to reinforce the edge), which I ended up padding with some foam. Next time, it'll be a lot more foam and a lot less nerves. So now its sitting on a bunch of 5 gallon buckets as I fill screw holes, sand and wait for a warm day to do the fiberglass.

Thanks,

John K.
John,

Your getting closer to being finished, and before you know it your hull will be wet. I'll be watching for your updates.

8)

Mike
John, we're looking forward to the big day. Tongue
Hey,

I just thought of a mess-about event, instead of tossing the caber, we roll the boat :lol:

Oh, it's sad day! I need to go sailing, BAD!

[Image: normal_StoneWitch01.jpg]