BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer has its bottom panels on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, just finnished glueing and screwing stbd chine logs on my bottom panels; that's port and stbd completed now (except for fairing-will have to have my Wheet-Bix before I get out the plane for that!) and only have the transom log to go to complete bottom works. Then I can head towards the deck!
Just on the chine logs (bottom stringers on plans), I found I had to cut them into fairly small sections (about 30-50cm average length) as I couldn't get any bend in them with the crossection as per the plan; I used recycled, lovely pencil grain Oregon and I could have steam bent them but didn't want to give my mate Allen (a boatbuilder) a fright that I was going to do any 'real' boatbuilding on this project!! (apologies to Al, he is really quite supportive of my project; just fun to stir!)
I think the way I've done it will be strong as it needs to be.

attached is a photo I took tonight after finishing.

Cheers all

[attachment=1]
thanks for moving this to the more correct place!! Will get used to this soon!
ps have glued the transome log on tonight - a nice piece of camphour laurel. Big Grin
Hi all, been having a ball cutting ply, glueing and screwing but now have a little hurdle! I've cut my deck pannels - all correct size as per plan - and the aft deck pieces seem to be about 6 inches too long!! - so the 'step in' where the cabin side joins the deck doesn't match up with the cabin bulkhead and the forward bulkhead is similarly displaced. I have checked the positioning of my bulkheads and all looks good - Hmmmm what silly thing have I managed to do I wonder?

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?
Hi Gerrard, If I remember right there was an additional sheet with  the plans for laying out the deck. I do have these pic's if they help.  Keith
Thanks Keith; nice photos - looks like my building site but with more room! Yes, I used the additional revised sheet for the decks but still have this problem. Not going to worry too much about it though - will just mean my cockpit is 6" shorter!
cheers