BYYB Forums

Full Version: Decisions, decisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,
                And thanks for all the input which I appreciate. The site reclassified me a s guest and I was unable to post or reply until I re registered. After my dis appointment with the vacationer in Carson City, I am now leaning towards building my own boat.I have become a huge fan of Warren Messer's Red Barn Boat You Tube presentations which I have watched repeatedly and now feel that stitch and glue is the way to go for me. However my dilemma is I can't find any designs I like that are designed for stitch and glue. I have looked at Sam Devlin's, Lichen, Ian Oughtred's designs and John Welsford's Penguin,( which has a great interior layout) and would perhaps like to see a combination of all three? If anyone knows of some s and g designs in the 20' length, I would like to know. Peter.
Peter, try <bateau.com/boatplansonline> I'm building a houseboat from their site.
It might be more helpful if you described you boat desires and requirements.
Hi Warren and Paul,
                          Thanks. I have taken a look at Bateau and think there could be some possibilities there, although the designs are quite modern looking. Are you building the 20' house boat? looks like a lot of fun and hope you will post pictures. When are you going to be ready for Mexico again? Im leaving next week for a desert camping trip to Baja...weather should be great!
Paul,
      Here is a list of my desires, ideals, which I will be flexible with,
                Classic design, character wooden boat, perhaps 20' LOD with 8' beam, ideally with gaff cutter rig, perhaps folding bowsprit, to accommodate four people comfortably for 1 week cruising. I like the lines of the Vacationer, sail cut, mast position and gaff angle, but not enough room. I want a tiller, over the transom, steering with horse/traveller etc.  Simple amenities, porta potti, plastic bowl etc. approx 20 gals water, two burner stove. I love the bow design on Whisper Boats, Secret, together with their tent approach and the hatch which extends to the mast and has a canvas cover. Highly trailerable, beachable with single axle for transporting around the western states for mostly lake and or Puget Sound, Sea of Cortez use. I would like to build stitch and glue and hope to be mostly using 1/4" ply, which I sense could be possible, as I would want to build in the style of Warren Messer of Red Barn Boats.. I really like John Welsfords, Penguin, the design has a lot to offer, especially for the interior layout, although I would prefer to move the galley back to the companion way...... the cockpit seems cramped, I prefer the mast forward of the cabin and it is not designed for stitch and glue. Ideally 7hp 4stroke and don't mind mounting it on the transom.I do have an Engel fridge and 80watt solar panel and battery, which might be overkill but would be great to have along. I have just been looking at Cornish Crabbers and am very impressed by the design. I have more input if needed. Thanks Peter.
Hi Paul,
          I have just looked more at the Cornish Crabbers website and can see that something between the 19' Cornish Shrimper and the 23' Cornish Crabber would fill my needs, plus they appear to be a lot of fun to sail. So how can I get a stitch and glue design/plans for this? Thanks Peter.
I think you need a big pocket book for what you are looking for. I had a Chrysler 22 that would have done what you are asking for. I paid $2,500 for it 2yrs later sold it for an Erickson 27. That Chrysler was a great boat, wish I had kept it. It was a Herschoff design and there is a club  in Sacramento but they hang on to those boats. Here is a shot of my houseboat "Fog Bender" 3 1/2 years building, not in a hurry and it will be an art studio as I paint wildlife etc. See  my website at <warrenpercell.com>
The idea here is to use the two boats at once, say take a run over to the Giants game, drop anchor, enjoy the game and then go sailing after the game, return and light the bar-b-que, crack open a beer, crash for the night. Maybe run over to Alameda the next day and sail the estuary a day or so. Lots of things to do on San Francisco bay plus a run to the delta, maybe Stockton. I bought a 55hp Homelite 4 cycle outboard freshly rebuilt with new alt. plus a spare just in case. Also have a new propane refer for the beer.Just sold my Catalina 30
so back to work next mo. on the Fog Bender. Mermaid on flybridge is named Mia, in Japanese is "pretty sail" named by a sailing friend from Japan. She has a lightening bolt in one hand and a cloud in the other, her fog bending tools. We also now have an evil eye on the bow which of course eliminates the need for radar or sonar, I sorta think of it as a beneficial eye rather than an evil eye.
Dudly Dix is the designer of the Cornish Crabber, and I think that it's a GREAT boat. Warren
The Cornish Crabber isn't available as public offered plans, try the "Cape" series from the same designer.
Thanks Paul, I had just finished that article in Small Craft Adviser. Didn't check on the plans.