BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tapin' Seams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sanding is out of the way, at least for a couple of days. Got myself all psyched up to tape the seams, gloves, respirator, 'poxin' hat....and I'm done.....? Guess I'm used to taping kayaks, which can (will) take a couple of frustrating hours. 1/2 hour later, seams are taped. Wow. Guess I can get to fairing out the rub rails tonight. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Wouldn't have been so easy if you Lizards hadn't helped out, though.
Thanks again.
pictures for those that can't read

a.
Left my camera at work :oops:

Here's how it looks through my camera phone, though:

[Image: Port_Keel_Seam.JPG]

[Image: Starboard_Keel_Seam.JPG]

Notice how you can't see the tape Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin That means I did ok. :roll: :wink:

Darick_Anderson

looks great from here Brit Big Grin

How long does it take to get the plans sent from Stevensons?

Thanks!!
Darick
Stevensons send out their plans about every week or so, so it shouldn't take more than two weeks. But that seems like forever when you're chompin' at the bit to get started. Be not troubled, you'll be up to yer ears in sawdust before you know it Big Grin
You can get the materials list from Stevenson's site, just so you can start gatherin' stuff.

http://www.stevproj.com/pcmatlst.html

That's what I did....had the wood for the keel and all the plywood before the plans got to my house.

Darick_Anderson

Brit
That sounds like the thing to do, Im going to get started on my kid's
pirogues to try to get them out and ready. I already have the wood
and everything for a couple of them.

My oldest son is thinking about building one after I do, he's 23 and
might be the nest addition to the Armada!! Tongue

Darick
i agree - there is a great deal of time to be spent just rounding things up. i'm so glad you ordered plans Darick! What a GREAT future we have for messin-about, eh!

Brit -

Looks good - i think that will be just great - I used the kevlar but it was totally overkill. - Good luck with the glass --- look forward to updates.

a.

oh yes - sanding is like contemplating the GREAT SILENT FREEWAY - don't let your thoughts get toO out there....or at least put on PinK flOyd'S DARk siDe of THe MoOn.....

Darick_Anderson

OH Boy!!! Sad

Adla...My wife reasds these with me, she doesn't know what a

messin-about is. Hope she has a sense of humor!!!! :lol:

What do you thin the epoxy with for coating again?

Thanks

Darick
"Urethane and Epoxy Thinner". There are a few lacquer thinners that say they will thin epoxy, and in my experience, they work fine. However, regular lacquer thinner will not work. You will have to read the label.

The way I use it is in the first coat, directly onto the wood. Use no more than a 4:1 ratio, 4 parts epoxy, 1 part thinner. This way it will penetrate better into the wood. Too much, and you may have problems with the plywood. On top coats, or when applying the glass cloth, use 100% epoxy for a good bond. If the process seems questionable to you, skip the thinner. Better to err on the side of caution. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2