BYYB Forums

Full Version: pocket cruiser in palma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi everyone
i think its all ready for to start my project after 1 year moving papers and asking  for
permisions, my enginier just finish the project after 3 months in numbers and with some ballast modif. he says now this boat can sailing in an open sea.
You're kidding right? What possible modifications could you make to a PC and make it open water capable? It's shear lunacy to take a protected waters boat like a PC, into blue water regardless of the modifications you've made. Why are you insisting on making a silk purse out of a sow's ear?
I posted this video link before but it fits this discussion.  Sailing really comes down to opinions, abilities and the boat you are in most of the time but this video and others like it demostrate to me what open/unprotected water and sea worthiness mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRgKXs92...L&index=23
I don't know how the guy ended up in the spot he was but the boat he was sailing didn't sink.  To me sea worthiness means coming back from a knockdown like that boat took without sinking.  If the bay or waters I was sailing could unexpectedly experience waves even 8-10 I would want a boat with that kind of sea worthiness.  The rescue boat didn't far as well as the sailboat it was attempting to rescue but everyone made it.  I am not taking anything away from Stevenson's designs when I say they are not open sea boats.  The were not designed to be or represented as such.
I am familiar with the video you've posted, it's a very commonly used tape. This tape is from down under and several years ago (1980's video tape). The sailboat has it's headstay break. Fortunately, the skipper was before the wind, which kept the rig up. The very first thing he should have done next, is use the jib halyard as a temporary head stay, but he instead elects to attempt a run into the lee of a barrier island. He has to cross a shoal reef to get there, which is why the waves are piling up as they are.

The first rule in emergencies is take care of the boat, because it's the only thing between you and drowning. With a slack rig, the mast is wobbling around like a drunken ice skater, but he attempts to cross the shoals anyway. The next thing he should have done was insure he was steering dead down wind and rigged a preventer to hold the boom out and fix the helm position. This would have permitted him time for the third task, to unfoul the tattered rigging and headsail, which got into his rudder and screwed his steering. Once the rudder was fouled with sail and headstay, he was helpless and the broach was unavoidable.

The bonehead driving the rescue cat, realized he'd over shot the "vic's" and attempted a 180 degree turn in a large, breaking, beam sea. If he'd been asked about that maneuver, while sitting at the local bar, he'd have called the skipper a nut case for such a move, but in his excitement to rescue, he made a stupid decision and it cost him dearly. This is a common problem among rescuers and lots of training, is the only way to weed out the "excitable" ones.

Fortunately, all was well, except for the insurance company claims. The sailboat had a fairly deep fin and a 40%+ ballast ratio. It was designed to take a knock down and get back up. This boat experienced a roll over and still managed to self right. I don't care what you do to a PC (or Weekender or Vacationer), this isn't going to be the case once it gets to about 65 degrees of heel. It's going to flop over on it's side and start down flooding as it's sinking. This isn't unusual nor unfair, most unballasted dayboats of these configurations do this. It takes an exceptional design to make a small boat (under 18') self righting. And yes, before someone asks, Discrete is self righting, having about 140 degrees of positive righting arm, which compared to the typical dayboats here that only have 65 degrees.