BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on the Briggs & Stratton 5hp Outboard?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tommy Costello

Just wondering if anybody has used, or thought of using, the newish Briggs & Stratton 5hp outboard. It's a simple, 4-stroke outboard, and quite affordable - can be had for about $700.

To me it seems like a great way to power the Pocket Cruiser or Weekender. Exactly the recommended power output, plus it's simple as pie (essentially a lawn mower engine) and parts or significant fixes sould be cheap and easy - probably even local hardware shops. I'm seriously thinking about getting one for the pocket cruiser that I'll be starting construction on soon.

The one downside for some - not recommended for salt water - but that won't matter to me!

Here's the B&S: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display...ocid=76403

[Image: 101_gas_large.jpg]
I haven't heard of one of our users trying one but I belong to several other on-line sailing/boat groups and generally, folks don't care much for them. Noise and reliability are the two issues I've seen brought up most often.

Brian R Walters

I don't know of any way around the noise issue with an aircooled powerhead, but it does simplify maintenance quite a bit... especially with the HUGE B&S dealer network. I'm still liking the electric idea myself (trolling motor head faired into the trailing edge of the rudder). The B&S motors are shipped with an external (3 gal) tank because there's no internal tank. On a boat this small, I can imagine that finding a home for the tank can be a nuisance, especially with a small laz taken up but steering rig. I noticed on the B&S website that they do electric motors as well. I assume these are private-label. I don't suppose anyone might know who's manufacturing them ?
I know of at least three in use here in the Pacific Northwest on small (20-23') sailboats. They are all on fresh water and never venture to the salt. One owner is tickled with it, the other two are mixed but felt that they got good value for the price they paid. (They both got their motors on a nice sale a couple years ago.)

None of them have required any service as yet in three seasons of use. They are a bit noisy, but then two of them were using Seagulls before these. So I think that is a relative thing.
I don't know anything about the motor your looking at but maybe you should consider a used Johnson/Evinrude. There's a lot of them out there, parts are available and they are really dependable. I got mine a 72 6hp for $75. It needed a fuel pump and I rebuilt the carb and put a water pump in if for good measure. Garage sales are a good place to find one cheap.

Keith
as an ex small engine mechanic - i am not thrilled with b&s designs. I've never heard anyone talk about a b&s motor they have had for years...That said- I almost bought one for the price too (sale on amazon or some other place) - but i went with the 55lb electric. i don't feel unamerican when i say - it is worth spending a couple extra bucks for a honda. ( i will crawl back underground now)

a.

Tommy Costello

Thanks for all the input this far! I do realise that the B&S engine will be significantly more noisy than a normal modern marine 4-stroke outboard, but I can't imagine they're much more noisy than very old 2-strokes. Are they? Because I've had some screamers in the past!

Plus, a major concern of mine is environmental - in my experience anyway, antiquated 2-stroke outboards are horrible at best. I spent three seasons running a tiny marina, and the amount of smoke and unburned fuel that spewed from so many of the 25+ year old engines left an impression to say the least. Despite the noise, I do enjoy the fact that the B&S engine will not dump any pollutants directly into the water.

I definitely dig the idea of electric, but the practicalities don't really work for me as I'm currently looking at it, although I might be persuaded otherwise. The need of batteries, charging system and limited range don't really seem like the way to go for me needs, where I will <gasp> be spending significant amounts of time under power.

As for the 3-gallow fuel tank (which would provide 6 hours at full throttle according to B&S) I'm not too worried as to where to stow it, as if I choose to go for that engine, I'll be designing the cockpit accordingly.

I would certainly consider a used 4-6hp proper 4-stroke if I could find one for about the same price, yet something about the simplicity of the B&S really appeals to me. Especially since I'm building the darn boat myself, it'd be neat to have an engine that I could tear apart myself as well. (Granted that can be said for those old engines as well, but not so much for the nice new 4-strokes.)

If cash was no option I'd likely err towards a 6hp with a charging system...