BYYB Forums

Full Version: Removable cabin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have seen some discussion here regarding a removable cabin for the weekender. I would like to do this to give me more options for passengers.
I like the pop top concept that Angie has, but I wanted to know if anyone has made a weekender where the entire cabin (sides and roof) is removable. I am thinking I would attach some sort of splash coaming where the sides of the cabin would be and then the cabin and roof would attach on the outside of that.
Does this weaken the boat structurally by a substantial amount??
Any thoughts?
Steven Goodman
You can go back to the Stevenson's Project website and look at the Weekender that they built in Hawaii. It's top was removable. There have been a few others, unfortunately some of them were basically butcher work and not to well done. But they were removable. Including in one case the top portion of the bulkhead above the deck line. In that case I think he just took a Sawsall to the finished product and cut off all the way around. Not sure how he managed to use it with the top on after that.

I've found, as most others have found, that you don't really want to cut off the main bulkhead. It makes a very comforable backrest while sailing for a crew member. I also like having the side decks clear of lines as much as possible. So routing them over the cabin top next to the hatchway is really nice. Makes them easy to get to when single handing or with a "not so experienced" crew.

I personally like the idea of a coaming with a soft top that can be carried along with you. Using flexable CPVC poly tubing for the ribs that could slide into pockets in the top and then set inside the coaming in slightly larger tubes to hold them inplace. The fexible top could overlap the coaming when in use and either use velcro to hold it down or snaps. That way everything could roll up in the top and be stored inside the boat when you are wanting to go "topless". Confusedhock: Or a bimini top that could just fold forward to get things opened up.

A removable hard top means that you have to leave it behind when you are sailing and if the weather changes or someone just wants out of the sun, (What, here in the Northwest?), you don't have a place to go.

The soft tops are not hard to fabricate if you have someone to sew. Sunbrella fabric and a little mockup with muslin to create a pattern to follow and a tool to install the snaps or sew on the velcro. Easy enough to sew in flexable windows with roll up covers for overnighting or screen fabric to allow ventilation.

I'll post a couple links to information on Boom tents, etc.

You might also think along the lines of Ed Jones with his "walk forward" slot in the top. Basically he extended the hatchway to the forward cabin wall and has a soft top that covers it when it needs to be closed up. A few battens in pockets and velcro all around and it is snug and neat. But lets the sunshine in and keeps the rain, bugs and weather out when you want it.
Couple links for Boom tent or top construction and ideas.

http://councill.home.mindspring.com/sbjo...tent1.html

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Cover.cfm

I also have a good article on Canvas Coverings that if I could figure out how to post it I would. But it has illustrations.
Steven, If you send me your e-mail, I'll send you the article on Canvas coverings if you want it.

Barry