BYYB Forums

Full Version: Amazing boat blog...check it out...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys...

Recently on my wood working site an amazing boat builder joined and started blogging about his boat building...it is sooo great as he has lots of photos and detailed explanations of the process on one of the first wooden ships he built in his own yard 40 yrs ago!!!

Here is the link to the first blog in the series (he is up to 4th tonight---he is adding a little each day as he digs through his old photos):

http://lumberjocks.com/shipwright/blog/19266

Also---here is a link to his most AMAZING FRIENDSHIP sloop he built for himself as a retirement project:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/37786

When you cut and paste that link you will get to his project page---and he has another link for even more pictures on it...just amazing and worth a look...

Enjoy!

Matt

WOW, those were some projects!  Thanks for posting the links.  This was very insprirational.  Nothing like experience, Eh?
all I can say is wow

And Santa can I have a workshop like that for xmas PLEASE, I've been really good this year honest.
So true!!!  All I can say is I decided to post the links because I found myself going back to look at the photos again and again...

Each time he updates the blog on smaug I get an e-mail since I am a member at LJ's...

So use this link to check it once in a while...he has been updating every couple days so far...but that is bound to slow down...

Of course he has 40 years of wooden boats---so maybe this will continue...

Matt
That is amazing...

Let's see, if I keep building for 10 more years, I should have my 10,000 hours of experience...

Greetings Matt,

Yes, she is a lovely boat ... mostly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/paulm549/Fri...irectlink#

Jay Benford designed the boat and he used photos of this particular boat in his literature. I had seriously considered building this boat, but in the end decided that she would not fit in the garage during construction, and her 3,000 lb displacement was pushing the limits of what I could trailer.

But there is something just a little off with the stern quarters on this boat. I have seen some very pretty sterns executed as counter sterns, oval transoms, wine glass transoms, reverse transoms (rarer); some with tumblehome and some without. But this particular stern looks like a counter stern with tumblehome that has been sliced off to present an oval transom, and with some outward flare in the buttocks to make the transom bigger than it should. It's just a little ... well weird. The larger designs in that particular series of boats do not seem to suffer from this affliction, so maybe it is just a consequence of trying to squeeze too many design elements on to too small of a hull. I think she would have looked better with a simple round counter stern. I know some of you will think she looks fine with a larger rear end, but at some point it gets to be just too much of a good thing.

The details on the finished hull are outrageous. The fifth from the last photo labeled "and New Wheel Steering" shows some incredible details ... scrollwork on the rails, locust grommetted hawse, scupper, cabin drip edge, etc. Very well done.

Cheers,
Tom
Interesting questions...you should log onto Lumberjocks and ask Paul...I think he would love the questions...

BTW...he has added a third boat to his blog series...he is going through 30 years of boat building and presenting them in a great little series on LJ's...

The link to the series is above---the first link I added...