BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tearing down "Rosebud"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
  Well the Left Coast Cruisers finished a nice cruise from Rio Vista to Stockton and back two weeks ago and I have been itching to do some modifications on Rosebud.
  So I have stepped the mast and removed all the hatches and bow sprint and anything that would unbolt. It's raining here in Petaluma Ca. so  I'm doing all the pieces in the shop like welding the hinges (loops that hold the pin) for the tabernacle, routing the mast into a hexagon so the hoops don't catch and bind, leather on my gaff and shaped it so as to look more graceful, upgrading some of the hardware and a cam cleat to let the rudder up faster. Everything has got 3 new coats of paint on it after the changes. 
  Next week I'll turn her over and start the refinishing of the hull. She's six years old now and has been to Mexico on the Sea of Cortez for three weeks, Monterey, San Francisco to Stockton several times and many other adventures on lakes and rivers.
  I didn't think I would be this driven but. Suddenly I don't have the freedom to take off in my Rosebud that I've grown accustomed to. We sail pretty much year round here and I'm an artist so I use my boat to shoot photos of birds and wetlands etc. Two more weeks should finish it up.
That's a good looking boat Warren,
Good luck on the upgrades.
Pics, Pics, Pics Smile Smile

Dan
warren ...are you keeping a list???  so when I get to the modificartion stage you can just come over and build my boat while i sit and drink some beer...???

Pouring here in nearby Napa...as I look out at my covered keel and bottom...

time for a boat shed.

looking forward to the picts...
AAAKKKK! Didn't get'em in the mail yet. Will do it now. Too bad your sitting in wine country and I'm sitting in Lagunitas beer town, should bring a case with me when we slam your vessel together! The "Left Coast Cruisers" Can meet at your place if you get that tent together this winter.
Thanks Daniel, I'll be sending pics soon. Are you a builder Daniel? I hope so,I have been sailing most of my life and still own a Catalina 30 but since building a Weekender I have lost interest in the big boat. These Weekenders are lots of fun and people just love watching them. and Matt the list is stamped in my memory so it won't be lost. We are expecting Peter Stevenson and son Mike out here at the end of the month. They are bringing new stuff  they have built/invented back in the "Bat Cave" in Texas. It should be a very interesting time here on the Petaluma River.
Hey, Warren
Splashed mine yesterday, the wind was gusting to 30mph so she didn't leave the dock but she wanted too!
[Image: 74409_458465227179_688797179_5310512_2208869_n.jpg]
WOW! Daniel that's a great looking Weekender!!! What a hot color scheme. I don't know how the splashdown went but normally it takes about 15-20 minutes to set up the boat to launch and 45 minutes to talk to all the people gathered round he boat, in your case there may be quite a few pirates in the crowd so make that 60 minutes. Thanks for sending the pic. and send more, I love seeing the different looks from all the builders.
  By the way we have sailed in 20 - 30 kt. winds and the Weekender just hunkers down and sails away when others are putting their sails away. 8)
Thanks Warren,
setup took about 20min, we went out during a Chiefs home game so the lake was empty.
I planed it that way so if anything went wonky there wouldn't be an audience  ;D

Dan
congrats dan!!!

i THINK at that point if the wind was too big for me I would have to put the sails down and motor around a bit at least...I like the idea of getting out in a time that is NOT crowded for the first (few) sails...either way----gorgeous boat---do you have a blog with more pictures on teh build and shots of the finished boat?  would love to see more...

Warren...I like the way you are thinking...I am a little nervous about calling up a big party and not having everything ready...maybe you can come over for a pre-party...???  I have the entire week of Thanksgiving off due to furlough days...will be gone 2nd half but first weekend and half of week could be a good building time...

Cant wait for those PICTS and videos...raced home today after school but my mailbox was empty...lol...just kidding...

matt
Well, I wasn't thinking of a big party just the members getting together for an hour or so and visiting with a sandwich and talking boats and how we are going to get the Left Coast Cruisers off the ground. Pretty simple as we have kept it from the start. We could sit around a 4 X 8 piece of plywood in your new pvc and tarp tent and discuss how we went about building our boats and you could take in the parts that interest you. For example look at Daniel's Weekender and then Tom's. What a diverse set of boats we will have to talk about. Warren
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6