BYYB Forums

Full Version: PVC BOAT SHED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I went sailing with the LEFT COAST CRUISERS a couple weekends ago Tom made a super good suggestion---that I consider building a boat shed---and that I could consider buying or making one out of green house materials...he was concerned that I had not done anything to cover the boat from moisture, rain and sun...and it has started to rain...I  temporarily have my keel and boat bottom covered now with a tarp===but I cant build in that...and would hate for the rain to prevent my building...my one car garage is my dedicated workshop---but is too small to also construct the boat...

As my brain chewed and chewed I thought that was a super great idea....and when the boat is done I could move the boat shed over to the garden for it to become a green house...today i started researching with a sick toddler keeping me home from work and I saw quite a few good ideas using pvc piping...

My latest thought  ;D is to use pvc/sprinkler pipe so that I could really design it to perfection.  It would be designed so that it would fit the dimensions for boat construction on my patio and it could be easily fit over our raised garden bed when the boat is done...ANd...with pvc I could glue some parts and attach other parts with out glue so I could break it down in the spring summer...when the garden would not need coverage...

SO...my question is----------HAs anyone used pvc...any suggestions and what other options are out there...?

There was a photo in the latest issue of 'Australian amateur boat builder' magazine showing something like you've described. The walls and roof seemed to be one piece. Not many details though.

http://www.boatbuilder.com.au/
Use electrical PVC pipe if you elect to use this material, as it's UV stable, unlike plumbing PVC pipe. By the time you count up all the pipe and fittings, you might consider alternatives like:
[Image: final_bow.jpg]
Now this is a big shed, which will house a 40' power yacht, but it's a common method, cheap and easy to do, plus it's self supporting and will shed the worst of winter snow if necessary. It's covered in tarp or whatever.
[Image: IMG_1971.jpg]
End walls with doors and this one is covered with a shrinkable fabric, for a nice tight fit.
[Image: IMG_1988.jpg]
nearing the finish line.
[Image: IMG_1997.jpg]
The blue glow . . .
[Image: IMG_1995.jpg]
Nice and tight.
It's made of firing strips (1x2's), ripped off the ends of 2x stock, with 2x spacers ever few feet to separate the firing strips.
Paul---wow...that looks like a blimp hanger!  LOL...my wife haD been supportive of this whole sailboat dream...

That looks pretty intense!!!  If I had a more space it would be great...the pvc idea is something I can convert and breakdown and re-use...and no snow here just rain...however---i could invite a lot of friends and have a bunch paint grenades...and we could have a great war...

but those are great picts...

James...will look at the mag tomorrow---thanks for the link...looks like a great site...
Here in the Great White North, many stores offer a 20' X 10' temporary shed - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/...nopies.jsp