BYYB Forums

Full Version: My boat plans..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi!
Warning! - This post contains hidden advertisement!
Plans for “Ocean Explorer” are available in Duckworks :

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/korhon.../index.htm

Soon there is going to be sailing story of my trip on duckworks, but here is link
to video taken from same trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0IIDQ8yC9o

Perttu
Nice video. Looks very much the same as my waters. Where was it shot, somewhere near Anttola?

That gives a good picture of the area my boat is going to be sailing. There are a couple of bigger continuous bodies of water here, but mostly it is zig-zagging between islands. Let´s see how quickly I get tired of the short tacking and want self tending jib and foresails with booms  Wink
Hi Timo

I was in Linnansaari nationalpark - allso in lake Saimaa. I usually sail in Anttola ( Luonteri ), but I made that boat becouse it´s easy to transport and do mooring etc. by myself.
My quess is that you will be sailing in lake Kallavesi?
Perttu
Fun looking boat Perttu.
Living in Kuopio I will have to start on Kallavesi, but I can cruise to Linnansaari area as well. I can and have cruised all the way to Lappeenranta but never took the canal to the sea. I have once also cruised to Mikkeli, which is in your area.
I notice the designer gives great credit to the design of his underwater foils. I wonder if the same care could be taken with a set of foils for the weekender.

Consider: the Weekender 1 (with the centreboard), a centreboard and rudder built to "ocean explorer" specifications, and maybe a cut-down foot like PAR recommends. I wonder how a weekender thus modified would sail. It might be like the "Ocean Explorer" WITH a bow!

The landscape you are sailing in looks very much like the landscape around Yellowknife where I sail. I am too lazy to look it up: what latitude is your sailing area, Perttu?
The latitude is roughly the same as Yellowknife, just like mine. He is about 100 km South of me and I am 62.9.
Hi

Timo is right about position. Maybe it´s still bit more arktic in Yellowknife than here?

Ocean Explorer uses foils, spars and sails designed by Michael Storer. Same parts are used in Ocracer ( former Ozpdracer ). I have earlyer build Ozracer- and we have long winters ( you know that! ) so strange ideas have time to develop. I did not think that I would do plans of that boat, but I started to get mails that could I...

Ozracer is funny boat to sail - When I sail it, I allways hope more wind - more wind..
Boat is small and have big rudder so it turns fast and you can sail easily to upwind in narrow bays etc.

Ocean Explorer sails quite samekind - little more rocker curve to carry litte more weight - but two adults is quite limits for boat like this. ( The boat is not meant to be taken too seriously)

Perttu
Michael Storer is a buddy of mine and the foils he uses for his Oz PDR are the slab sided foils he prefers for most of his designs. I briefly describe and show the concept in the Schooner 2 thread. These foils are a substantial step up from a hunk of board as a rudder or appendage, but nothing to get excited about either.

The PDR and this off shoot, the much more burdened Ocean Explorer are typical of the "box boat" crowd. Mik and I have gone 'round and 'round on their virtues. What I always find amazing is the owners think they are fast, but look folks 3 to 4 MPH isn't especially quick (I think Mik has the standing world speed record in an Oz PDR at 3.4 knots or 3.9 MPH). This said, they are fun boats if you're not too full of yourself and they can be great fun if you get several together for a race. The folks that build these "box boats" have probably questionable sanity levels anyway, so decisions such as these should just be accepted as they why of the world in regard to them. :Smile I wish Mik and this latest addition to the "concrete mixing tub" looking fleet, the best of luck and be wary of these types BYYB'ers, as I heard rumors of scandalous behavior from the likes of crew and owners of these little things.
Paul uses so many difficult worlds, that my limited english language skills has troubles translating it.

I think he means that everybody needs to buy one copy of these plans? ;D
( Just kidding ) In finnland we have phrase : that when you are on water ( boating ) you should never have rush to anything.
Perttu
Pages: 1 2 3