BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok bored at work and Thinking about heading over to Menards tonite and really can't get into this program I'm suppose to be working on.

and I'll admit it that boat building bug just keeps biting, so what do you do when you can't get out and start on the boat hit the form boards and write your intro.

Hi My name is Jim Miller I live in Minnesota (Faribault about 50 miles south of Minneapolis).  I'm a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, well I was fully retired for about a week and then my dear wife decided I needed to find a Job, I didn't think I was being a pest and getting under foot well all the 2 legged kids are now out of the house so maybe soon I can try that retirement thing again (but I doubt it).

Any way I got hooked on sailing early on in my Navy career one of my Dept Heads was a skipper and started taking me out on  one of the bases sail boats in San Fran and I've been in love with sailing since.  Even convinced the family that we needed to rent a 30 footer and take a week long sail trip when we were stationed in London, they thought I was nuts but agreed and every thing was fine until we got to portsmith harbor and I was able to heel the boat pretty good and everything in the cabin went flying including the middle son and everything from the cabinets on top of him (guess I'm always learning something new).

I've had two dreams in life one was to own and run a sled dog team, and that one I've accomplished I still have 4 Siberian Huskies (the 4 legged kids) and two sleds that I run for fun in the winter,  I've run a few races in MI using my dogs and 6 of my uncles (he moved last year and sold his kennel).  So now its time to fulfill my 2nd dream to own a sail boat.  I decided after I moved back to MN to start looking for plans I wanted to build my own boat both my dad and grandpa were into working working and I've picked up a bit of know how from them and want a project I could work on with my boys and grandson.  Well after 2 years of looking I found the plans for the vacationer (just big enough for me and the wife to do some week long trips in but not to be for our jeep to pull and I love the lines and look of her)

so here I am ready to start

PS think "Summer Sled" is to corny of a name since I do dog sledding in the winter ..... hehe

thanks and I look forward to all the great advice I know I'm going to need

Jim

Captain Jim, I'm a signpainter on the left coast and I think "Summer Sled" is a great name for your boat!
Get started, there are lots of small parts you can do in the winter (well I'm still sailing on the left coast,he he) so find some small parts and start doing it. My step daughter just retired a cheif and she waited two weeks to get a job. Ugh!!! Oh well, I'm 67 and retirement is not on my list of things to do. I need to keep working to support my boat habit. Last weekend was a cruise to the fabulous Califonia Delta, you can read about it at Left Coast Cruisers Cruise. Good luck Warren
Welcome aboard chief . . .
What's retirement.  We spent ~24 in the AF and then I moved my desk drawers down the hall. (lost my cornor office with window)  I've been CG for a bit over three years now in PHX.  I parted out my Vac two years ago after grounding her in a storm.  Paul and I are working up a new boat for me.  Summer Sled is a great name.  Start building now as life is short.  Welcome aboard....8) 8) 8)