BYYB Forums

Full Version: "Left Coast Cruisers" cruise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On 10/12/2010 2:42 PM, Warren Percell wrote:
> Well, back from the Delta run. It was hot!!! the first 2 miles we had to get past a low bridge. Somehow the bridge keeper did not see us, we shouted and blew whistles at Windy Cove on the Sacramento River but my fault, I left my VHF at home and didn't expect a bridge. We went to the shore and lowered the mast and cruised under the bridge to the beach and raised the mast and watched the other guys try to lower the mast while on the water. Don Obrian got his down, then Tom Dellinger dropped his. Somehow in the process the turnbuckles were twisted on Tom's boat.
> They motored over to a nearby dock and Don raised his mast. By this time Tom was so irritated that he went home taking Matt Denny with him, too bad cause just around the corner we sailed 20 miles to Herman and Helen's and the later it got the harder it blew, up to 18 to 20 kts. Lots of fun.
> Matt Denney is finished with the keel and the bottom his his Weekender. So this trip was good for him to meet everyone and get a feel for the boats but he wanted to go back with Tom. Even though I invited him to go with Keith and I, I like the fact he respected his Captain's wishes.
> We camped out on the docks of Herman and Helen's with our air mattresses and sleeping bags, Cracked a bottle of wine and cooked our evening meal. You could hear the Coyotes howling in the distance and my yorky snuggled very close! Lots of owls too.
> The morning was nice to wake up to. Herman and Helen's has bathrooms to use and the new owner wouldn't take any money for overnight, he was delighted to have us there. We ate breakfast at their well equipped cafe, bar-b-que and all, gassed up $3.07 worth and got ready to head back to Rio Vista.
> My Honda 2 hp pulled us at 4 1/2 kts back to the bridge by 12:30 pm. This time I asked the first boat with a VHF to call for us. The bridge came right up and she came out and apologized to us, said that we were in her blind spot. Hummmm... Won't forget the VHF ever again.
> We towed Don's boat the 20 miles back as he only has an Min Kota. He was happy to untie at the bridge and sail the 2 miles back to the Rio Vista dock. I would like to list the crew that was with us, Mattie, Don's grandaughter, quite beautiful and 10 years old, who became a great sailor on the trip. My son Keith @ 43 years old, myself, @ 67 years old and Pixel the yorky @ 5 years old. Who knows how old the rest are Matt is 40 years old. So...Remember that sailing is ageless and I don't plan on missing it.
> It is a wonderful fact that we all get along like long time friends however we have known our group for only a year or so. Ahhh sailing. Pictures tomorrow.
>
> _________________
> Life is a journey not a destination.
>
> Post a reply
> Subject:
Thanks for the nice write-up!!!  It was super great getting a chance to meet everyone and sail with Tom...

Cant wait to see your picts...like I said in a pvt e-mail I sat up that night on google earth wondering where you guys ended up...and dreaming about seeing it all next time.  I am glad I went back with Tom...as a teacher for the last 13 years it was nice to be around a person who wanted to teach me about what he knew.  From the minute I met him that morning he was taking me through his decisions in the build to the rationale for his rigging decisions.  I learned a lot and was glad to be a student in good hands.

I have a long way to go in my build but cant wait for the weekend to get out in my garage and take the next steps...

Thanks for including me...

MATT
[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3][attachment=4]
Sounds like a good time was had by all.  Send more pictures!!  8) 8) 8)