BYYB Forums

Full Version: Minnesota Rookie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Smith

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a kayak and the boat building bug has struck hard.  I think my next project will be a Weekender but I'm still doing my research and have to finish the kayak first.  Maybe by next summer, the build will begin.
Welcome aboard.  I'm not sure where you live in MN, but I'm in the Twin Cities.  I built my Weekender in 2001.  I hope you will bring your kayak to next year's Lake Pepin Messabout.  (lakepepinmessabout.com) 

James Smith

I live in Hawley, MN, it's about 25 miles east of Fargo, ND.  The messabout sounds fun.  The kayak should be done (maybe another one also, I cut enough strips for about 3 kayaks).  I'll probably be there, we have family on both sides down there.
Hey Guys
    Well another new MN here, I'm down in Faribault (about 50 miles south of Bill) heck will all have to get together one of these days.  I'm new also, just got my plans in for a vacationer and should be heading out to get first batch of lumber next week-end.

Bill are there any more folks in the area that you know of?

Jim
I have a weekender at my dad's place in Park Rapids on Long Lake... will be up there several times this spring\summer!
I am not a Minnesotan but did grow up there, ages 5-21.  I lived in Columbia Heights, Anoka, and Fridley.  Most of the time in Fridley.  It's a suburb of Minneapolis.  I use to fish and sail on Silver lake.  It's not big but if you knew the lake well there were a couple a spots the skeeters didn't fly out to.  I am tentatively planning on towing my little boat back for that Messabout also so maybe I can marvel at a weekender in person.  I built the Triad as it gave me more cockpit space and was a smaller project.
Pics Terry, pics, put up some pics of your boats. How can a left coast guy see all those great boats? ;D
Hey Bill, couple questions for you.

Were did you get wood supplies from and what did you build your weekender out of?
Mind if I swing up one of these week-ends a take a look at her?

thanks
Jim
Hi, Jim.

I used marine ply from a lumber yard in Lake Elmo.  Unfortunately, it's now out of business.  I called every lumber yard in the phone book until someone pointed me in the right direction.

You are always welcome to stop by and see SURPRISE.  (It'll be easier when the snow melts.)  I'll also have her at the Lake Pepin Messabout on June 3-5 (http://lakepepinmessabout.com)

Bill
Yea that's my problem finding lumber Lamberts, Menards, couple other I checked in the local area didn't have anything, may have to go with a lower grade wood.  If you hear of any place give me a shout please.

Defiantly plan on swinging by for the Lake Pepin Messabout, doubt if the boat will be even near completion by then but figured it will be a great time even with out.