BYYB Forums

Full Version: Introducing young James.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,

Thought I'd introduce myself and seek some help and encouragement as I'm very interested in constructing a trailer sailor of around 16 - 20'. Being at the initial stages of settling on a design and purchasing some plans is very exciting!

I've grown up with the boating bug since I can remember, my father, uncles and grandfather all had it. I'm very comfortable single handed on dinghy's and cats, keen windsurfer until a couple years ago - generally pretty clued up when it comes to wind and water.  Somehow in between all my other interests, this particular bug seems to always crawl to the top of my ever growing list of things I want to do - So I've decided to apply my range of skills and technical knowledge towards a project of this size.

The idea of sailing my own yacht is exhilarating, creating one with my own hands is even more so. In fact (and I think most of you can agree here) I'm heading up this road for the enjoyment and the journey a build like this would hold.

I've been keen on the Weekender II since a few years ago, but lately I've lost faith in it's ability to 'be the boat I want'. Our rivers here in Western Australia aren't always the flat pond most of the Weekenders are cruising in and I believe I should be looking at a ballasted yacht with a bit more than a flat bottom (although the build simplicity is very appealing!). So on I went, stumbling across the Hartley and various other designs... Then I came across the lineup of 'classic yachts' at www.vivierboats.com

Through some long hours researching and plain old thinking (which I enjoy a lot) I've picked out the Beniguet (Photo below) as 'fit for my liking'. She still holds the classic lines I love, ballasted, can sleep aboard.. etc etc. The construction is understandably a bit of a leap from something like the Weekender, but I'm willing to cross these roads to make sure I'm happy with the outcome.

There's even a company here in Australia that cut out all the plywood parts and ship as a 'kit'.

I'm having trouble finding others that have built the Beniguet though, I'd assume the hull would be glassed? How would one go about laying cloth over the lapstrake hull construction?

If any other members have recommendations for a first time builder with relative experience in other areas, please share -Just remember though I'm trying to following the few set lines below;

Ply construction
Cabin that sleeps 2
Reasonably light on the trailer
Swing keel
Good looks (of course)

Trying to avoid excessive ballast weight - This is one of the reasons I'm staying under 20' for now.

Thanks for reading - Looking forward to posting up some build photos in the future too.

James

Paul´s (Paul Riccelli who posts here) Discrete can be built with shallower, straight keel for easier trailering. My version will be the full draft and schooner rigged. And it is extended from the original 14'11" LWL to 16'10". The accomodation is basic but two people can sleep and even prepare and eat a meal if the weather is terrible. A boom tent adds room of course.

You can check how my design and build process has started from here:
http://byyb.org/forum/index.php?topic=2466.0

Btw I am not going to glass the clinker hull and I don´t think it is agood idea to attempt it. It would be so difficult to get the glass into the corners of the lapped seams. And if there is a pocket of air under the sheathing it is a catastrophy waiting to happen.
François Vivier's designs are very well thought out and detailed. This is a nice protected waters boat and should fair well for your needs. She'll get tossed around a little in heavy air, but all boats of this general size will in a rough go. My Discrete design would handle rough weather better, but she's also slightly heavier. Okay a fair bit heavier and a higher ballast ratio too, which gives Discrete a big advantage in heavy weather.

I wouldn't recommend 'glassing a lapstrake boat. It's possible to 'glass that garboards, but you can't easily 'glass the laps, which are the "entry" points, making the task moot.

In the end, you'll have to ask yourself about your sailing area and the normal weather patterns you'll encounter. I'm not sure of the stability curve of the François Vivier's design, though I suspect it is typical of shallow centerboard boats of this scale. I don't think she's self righting like Discrete. Both would be "ambitious" (to say the least) attempts by the first time builder, but a decidedly firm and dedicated person can do it.

The "illness" you have, which drives your desire to build a boat, is something we all share. It will consume you until you take on the challenge. Not many have this particular genetic disposition and fewer actually attempt to ease their suffering with a project. You seem to have spent your time wisely and made a good choice. As far as finding other examples of Beniguet, you might try some of the links on DuckWorks site as well as François Vivier's.

And welcome aboard . . .
Thanks for the words Tim, Paul.

My first step will be establishing my building area. Summer is coming, but I'd still like a covered area to work under. I've been pondering on multiple different methods of creating a solid, temporary shelter. Plenty of space is available - I just need to enclose it. Cheap 2x4's and a couple large heavy duty tarpaulins should do the trick.
James;
    Check out a company called Shelterlogic, metal frame inclosed garages in many sizes that are assembled in a few hours, we are building our Weekender in one, all our tools and JoeDee's Song are inside High & Dry.  When I can't make sawdust outside I can  cover the boat and roll it outside on the cradel and back in to assemble what we've done and once completed that will be JoeDee"s room when not on the water.
    We live in New Engalnd in the United States and these shelters stand up. our 12'x20' cost $300 plus shipping total of $409 and they ship anywhere and they may have reps in your area, hit SEARCH, it dosen't cost anything to find out.
    Welcome James, enjoy your build and don't hesitate to ask dump questions, I do it all the time, isn't that right Craig?

Alan
Alan,

Were'd you get your Shelterlogic from? wife said I could have the garage for the winter (and being in MN that is a plus especially since it is heated) BUT and she added this after I ordered by plans she wants a shelter to park her Jeep under so she (meaning me) doesn't have to scrap windows and brush snow off.  I've looked around and seen a few different brands priced up in the 400-500 dollar range without shipping and unfortunately she says this has to come out of the boat budget so trying to get by as cheep as possible.

Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim;
    We found our Shelterlogic at  www.portablegaragedepot.com  All four corners are held with long in ground screws so it can't go anywhere when the wind blows and the zipper opening can be modified with two pulleys and a few feet of cloths line rope so un-zip and with the pull of the rope it rolls up and down.
    Co workers that have had them for many years here in New England tell me that when it snows go out in the morning and push up from the inside with a broom to relieve the weight and they are a temporary structure requiring "NO" Building Permits and when it's served its purpose take it down, but it back in the box it came in and have a Yard Sale.
    Hope you enjoy your build as much as we have so far, plans are AWESOME and the advice you'll get in here from these "Old Farts" & "Fartett's" is "PRICELESS".
      When we can't Build we Dream.

Alan & Franny

Thanks Alan, just what I'm looking for.

Hi James, sorry for jumpin in on your post with snow season quickly approaching I need to find something to park the cars in since the garage has been cleared out for boat work.  We'll have to swap build stories as were going along, good luck to you I think were both in for a great time.

Jim