BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer Materials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All
  I'm new to the boards and promise to post a writeup in the intro latter today.

I've got my plans in and have start looking them over and also pricing out materials and have run into a wall already.

called Menards and a couple of local hardware/lumber places and no one carries #2 pine 1X12 in anything greater then a 16' length (and those are special order).
can I get by with 12 footers (again just started looking over the plans so not all sure where the 4 - 18' and 1 - 19' are used).

Thanks
Jim
You may find Doug fir in a local lumber yard in that size.  Scarfing the longer pieces is routinely done too.  Find a nice yard that caters to builders and go in and tell them what you are building.  Most of these folks are more than willing to help get what you need or recommend substitutions.  Welcome aboard!  8) 8) 8)
Welcome Jim, when I built Ginny Rae all that was available was pine book case wood in 8 foot lengths. The joined are staggered on the three keel laminations. I feel that you don't really need to spend large amounts on premium wood. I also used some maple, ash, and cherry that was kicking around for my shop for some scuttled plans for furniture projects. G1S plywood served fine for me, marine ply up here is special order, and quite expensive.

Use whatever wood is available, and affordable in you area, Just be sure the plywood is outdoor grade with waterproof glue construction. These boats are pretty forgiving of the materials one uses. The plywood question is sure to arouse some discussion, I say go with your budget. After 7 years Ginny Rae is structurally still sound. Happy building & sailing.

Greg