BYYB Forums

Full Version: new member from Ottawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

David Balmer

hello to all,
                over the last two years i've enlightened my other half to the joys of boat building. first came the welsh coracle, somebody called it a swamp buggy.  this craft is made from wooden slats weaved together and covered with cloth impregnated with tar.  it ended up in the Ottawa paper as nobody had ever seen one in the canal downtown . then came the simple plywood portable boat. ( needed to build up my woodworking skills)
  as a novice woodworker and newbie to larger boat building i have trawled the internet looking at all kinds of boats that might be in my skill level and be able to build. i thought ( incorrectly) that the weekender was a more advanced boat and not for me. but alas i was wrong and now you find me here.  i have sent off for the plans and dvd and hopefully i might be able to find someone local to Ottawa that would allow me to have a look over their boat.
well that's all for now Dave
Welcome!  This site will provide tons of help, and even if you can't find a real Weekender to look at (I couldn't!)enough people have documented their builds with photos and text to give you a "virtual" tour!  Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Dave