BYYB Forums

Full Version: HyneSight a big success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't been on in a long time (4 months) But I,ve been busy. got a job, and out sailing on the weekends.  I built the Hynesight without modifing the plans at all. The only changes were racelite blocks, and a duckworks gooseneck, and a figurehead I carved.  The rest of the boat is stock right down to the tarp sails. It is a little scary putting all this work in to it and not knowing how well it will sail, or how well I sail it.  Well it sails fantastic, it looks fantastic, and I love it.    It is a great family boat.  I also did a little white knuckle sailing the day after "Earle"
The day after I put it in the water, someone came by in a speedboat and offered to buy it.  I had it on a mooring all summer and the amount of canoe  and kayaks doing donuts around it checking it out was really great for the ego.
      It tacks and jibes great, the boat heels well, and it is still a weight boat, so you can hike out pretty far if you don't have reef points on your tarps.  I've been on the windsurfer  clocked at 38 mph but I got that same feeling doing 6mph in the weekender....what a blast.
    The Stevensons worked out all the pitfalls,  as they said I would be tightening up the steering, but only once. The jib stay is under a big load, so the cable clamps need to be very tight. I have to make a cockpit cover of some kind, because it holds a lot of rain water if you only go out on weekends. 
    I posted some new pics on the gallery under "HyneSight" 
      I had a great time this summer on the boat.  Thank You All for the help
                                                                                    Marc
You bet she's a great success! Nice green boat Marc. I feel just as enthusiastic about mine after eight years. Good work there. Just one thing: how do you reach the wheel when you're leaning way out like that? You must have monkey arms.
I've experimented with a number of cockpit cover solutions.

I built a hard cover that was supposed to cover the cockpit and keep the bulk of the rain out and to work for trailering.  It works not too badly but still lets the rain in and is a pain to take on and off especially by myself.  It also works well to keep the snow from building up in the cockpit.

This past summer though, I took an 8'X10' tarp and put 3 battens in it.  It fits both under the boom and over the mast when the mast is folded.  The fabulous thing about it is that unless there's a strong wind blowing the rain in, the cockpit stays perfectly dry and there's lots of ventilation to prevent mould.

I've attached pictures.
I really like the cockpit cover you made with the battens, it looks easy enough to tie off the last side from the water in a canoe or something. Thanks a lot I'm going to make one this spring.
Having toe rails makes it very handy to tie it down.