BYYB Forums

Full Version: Gaff jaw problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally attached the mainsail to the mast and the gaff.  The problem I discovered is that when raising the gaff, the jaws get "pinched" between the shrouds, and I can't raise the gaff throat high enough to pull the sail taut.  No problem with the peak halyard.  Has anyone else encountered that problem with the Weekender, and what's the best solution?  A spreader of some sort?

Dave
[attachment=1]

Here's what you do: find some fittings to attach to each side of the mast that crane the shrouds out about an inch and a half or so. The fittings I used are actually lifeline stanchion attachment brackets, and I through bolted them to make sure they were well anchored. They spread the shrouds out enough to solve that problem. I found that while I could raise my sail all the way, and the boat sailed well enough, the gaff jaws rubbed the shrouds annoyingly. I believe this is a flaw in the design, albeit a small one that is easily repaired. I think a spreader is overkill, just moving the shrouds to attach at the sides of the mast on fittings like these is all you need to do. In the picture I attached you can see them on the side of the mast. Sorry it's a little grainy. One of these days I'll take a good quality picture of the shrouds on my boat, I think I stumbled across the ideal solution to the problem. A lot of guys are using spreaders but I think that is an inelegant solution.
Less then one year ago, I've been informed about this problem by other members and after the technical discussion that followed, I decided to fix shrouds at the forward end of the top eyebolt (the one for peak halyard pulleys), while the forestay remain fixed as in design.
I launched my Weekender in Febbruary and since than I never suffered for this problem (in 15÷20 sailing sessions).
You just have to buy a female eyebolt and the problem is solved.

Gianluigi
Thanks, guys.  What I did is similar to what Keith suggested.  I had a couple of pieces of 3/16" thick aluminum bronze, 1" wide.  I cut off about 2-1/2 inches and bent the bronze about 30 degrees, then drilled a 3/8" hole at each end.  I drilled a 3/8" hole in the mast perpendicular to the existing hole, then ran a 3/8 bolt through the mast to hold the pieces in place.  Much like the tang for the forestay only stronger.  It also eliminates the big gaggle of wires, clamps and thimbles in the front of the mast.  Cleaner look and operation.  I did have to change the shroud lengths, though.

Dave