BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Vacationer slowly taking off...well, I've got the plans!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
finally got registered. I am in the early stages of building a Vacationer - starting with small stuff; hatches, rudder and that very classy wheel! If I can work out how to add a picture I might show off the progress so far.  Just waiting for the readies to purchase timber to get into the hull.

On that point, I live in NSW Australia and was wondering what other Australian builders have used for the timber keel - '#2 pine' I imagine might translate to cabinet grade pine here? Still checking that one out. Any thoughts would be appreciated; am considering using hardwood at this stage...

Also, any current owners out there with any recent updates on the sailing abilities etc of the Vacationer? Any recent videos?

Happy building/sailing all
Hello Gerrard

Welcome to the forum. It's a little slow sometimes but someone will be able to give you some wood advice. I recall some people have used pine for their keel. I think the thing is to glue it up so it's as water resistant as possible no matter what the wood is. My friend has a vacationer, it is easier to walk around on than my weekender but otherwise is very similar to sail. Good luck with your project.
Welcome Gerrard, I too, am a Vacationer. Have the plans anyway. Have been waylaid due to recent arrival of new crew member... Sawdust to fly... someday. Keep it up, us armchair folks really do appreciate it!
Look forward to living vicariously through your efforts. (No pressure!) Probably be at least two years now for me to start the sawdust. I'm a very lucky and blessed man. My new son is perfectly healthy and normal with his evenly distributed 6 toes and fingers on each foot and hand respectfully. (kidding). Also just recently aquired a "good" job. Able to try and catch up and begin to resupply the coffers. Post pics!!! Welcome and, you know...

capnpablo

Here's a photograph of some of my Vacationer bits thusfar; three hatches made from camphour laurel (actually the main hatch has four timbers; Huon pine, camphour laurel, tasmanian oak and good old meranti - we'll see how they last together!)and my wheel made from recycled oregan and ply. Have also made my rudder and rudder case and have a collection of bits and bobs from a poor old yacht that got buldozed recently! Thanks for your welcome!
Very nice.  Looks like your Vac is going to shape up as a work of art!

Dave
Gee, thanks Dave! let's not count my chickens 'till they've hatched though!!! Still, I do hope to make it something imbued with some degree of artistry though; in a world seemingly full of ugliness at times, there is always room for a thing of beauty. 
I spent a lot of time on my boat, adding little touches that the "sail ASAP" faction would consider frivolous.  Still, it's my boat and I have to be happy with it.  I come from a culture of woodworking, so it's very difficult for me to do anything in wood that doesn't have some "wow" factor.  I have to please myself first!

Dave
(09-22-2010, 06:19 PM)Dave Blake link Wrote:I come from a culture of woodworking, so it's very difficult for me to do anything in wood that doesn't have some "wow" factor.

I have the same "problem". But now I have decided that I will finsh only some small details bright, maybe the tiller or the transom, to force myself to be satisfied with good enough.

I remind myself that perfect is the worst enemy of good, preventing you from finishing with any results.