BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rigging the jib
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone draw a diagram showing how to rig a Weekender jib both using the  clubfoot, and also without it, using 2 jibsheets.  I'm interested in where to mount the blocks, which blocks work best, and where to place the fairleads.  I plan to use camcleats at the back of the cabin roof for the jibsheets and the peak halyard.

Dave
Hi Dave. Here is a picture of my weekender from above. In the picture you can see the jib rigging. I have a port and starboard sheet running through a block on each forward chainplate to a cleat on either side of the cockpit. I've found that the forward chainplate is a good place for the block assuming the standard size foresail, with the sheets inside of the shrouds. If you use a larger foresail, you'll have to find a different place for the blocks. The blue jibsheet is actually a continuous loop around the front of the cabin with a bowline tied in the middle. The jib attaches to this loop with a hank so it can be removed while leaving the sheets on the boat. You could go even simpler than this and just attach two separate sheets to the clew of the sail.

If you look just aft of the hatch on the foredeck, you'll see two pad eyes attached to the deck. I can't remember why there are two pad eyes, but this is where the single block for the club used to go. One sheet controlled this just like the main boom, and ran down the port side, through the block on the forward chainplate, and into the cleat on the deck. The club itself attached to the eyebolt you can see about halfway down the bowsprit.

I hope this helps. If you are going to be doing anything other than sailing in circles on a nice day in a small pond, I would suggest rigging 2 jibsheets. It makes the boat more controllable and it will be more pleasing to sail, in my opinion. The downside is there will be more ropes to keep tidy in the cockpit. I should also mention that I do not like the cleats I am using, and next spring I will be replacing them with some cam cleats mounted on a pad that I will attach to the side of the slash coaming, right where a pair of winches would go on a bigger boat.

Keith
Thanks, Keith!  I like the idea of mounting the blocks to the chainplates.  Do you have a full size photo of your thumbnail?  Please post it, or e mail it to me.  My address is under my profile.  Thanks.

Dave
Have you tried clicking on the thumbnail? On my computer doing that causes the large image to open. I this doesn't work I'll e-mail you the picture for sure.
Thanks, Keith.  I got it to open.  Clicking creats a small box in the left lower corner that enlarges the image.  Should have thought of that!

Dave