BYYB Forums

Full Version: Outboard mount: the photos I desired
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear All,
I see that motor mounting is a common problem that come back at every new launch season.
Here I show pictures of my outboard. It is a Parsun 4HP long shaft. From the picture it seems that a short shaft could work well anyway, but some problems could occur when tilting the motor up.
Note that I have and adjustable heigth mounting and I have bolted it to the boat with heigth set on penultimate position. I reserve in this way an extra low position for hard waves navigation.
Anyway my advice is to bolt the mount where the boat is strong, if then the motor results to high or to low it is possible to modify the mount table bolting or to make it new.
There are not modifications in the rear shape of my Weekender and deck level, rudder and transom dimensions are as in construction guide. The only source of confusion could be in my boat sides that are a little higher then usual so rub-rails and taffrail are not where commonly expected.
Gianluigi
Greetings Gianluigi,

Those are very good photos, and I like the way you included the dimensions.

Is your rudder built exactly to the plans?  It looks a little wider than the stock rudder.

I love the buildings in the background of your photos.  We have no 14th century stone fortifications anywhere here in the US.  Please take some more photos of the town you sail from.  They are fabulous.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom,
my rudder is standard, it seems wider because it is steered and probably the the mobile phone lens has changed the perspective.
I agree with you, my town is fabulous. I moved here for work from Milan 15 years ago and since then I never moved again, even if that job finished long time ago and all the other jobs I found were far and forced my to drive a lot every day.

The fortification in the background is not so old. It has been built starting from 1860 and it is part of a defensive system done by Austrian empire to protect their Italian possessions from the Italian unification campaigns led by Piedmont kingdom.
This region joined definitely to Italy after Wold War I and still  now it include a province German speaking.
Here you can have other news and photos:
http://www.rivadelgarda.cc/eng/
http://www.gardatrentino.it/en/lake-garda/
http://www.ungiroingiro.net/
Gianluigi
Do you live in Riva del Garda? So your sailing water is Lago di Garda?

While on vacation there we had some exiting moments in a rental dinghy with my 13 years old daughter when the breeze freshened up. She was sailing for the first time in her life and I had no idea how strong the wind would would be in the afternoon  :o
I join other photos I took this morning with the outboard tilted. It seems that a short shaft would not fit in this position, at least with my taffrail that as I wrote is a little higher than usual. May be that with another motor brand or another bracket type, things fit again.

Timo,
Yes, I live in Riva del Garda. Your experience is quite common and I've also been through someting similar my first time here.
What else also normally surpises visitors is how when the afternoon breeze suddently comes, quite immediately the lake become full of thousands of planing windsurfs, with colored sails that look like butterfly!

Gianluigi
My wife refuses to sail our boat without an outboard.  My transom is completely finished and painted.  I will need to install some blocking to beef up the transom for the motor support, but I'll likely have to add a "spacer" to the painted surface of the transom to bring the mounting points to the same plane as the rubrail.  The top bolts will be through the rubrail, transom and support block on the inside of the transom, the bottom bolts through the spacer blocks, the transom and the support block inside the transome.  How should I attach the spacer? scrape off the pant and epoxy it?  Coat the mating surfaces with 3M 4200 and bolt it in place?  I'm trying not to have to redo the whole transom.

Dave
Dave,
the spacer have also to distribute the pushing force of the outboard on the transom.
Remember: when you move forward the motor push on the bottom joint, when you move backward it pull.
May be I'm wrong, but i don't see any reason to attach with epoxy the spacer. The simple contact is enough and it permits to self balance pushing stresses, except the case you want to avoid to use the counter-block inside the transom (that works only when you move backward), but I don't really see why to work so much to avoid to use a scrap that nobody see.

Gianluigi