BYYB Forums

Full Version: Epoxy in the freezer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mixed up a small batch of thickened epoxy to fill some screw holes.  I'd like to fill the holes a second time on the same day to repair the shrinkage that always occurs.  Rather than mix up a second batch, can I simply put the first batch in the freezer?  I've put epoxy in the refrigerator to "slow down" the reaction with no problems.  My guess is that there is nothing special about 32 degrees F. and that the freezer will act like super-super slow hardener.  Anyone know the answer for sure?

Dave
Short periods in the freezer are okay, but letting the epoxy freeze isn't okay. Refrigeration is much better, as it will not separate or crystallize the chemical components.
Thanks, Paul.  I thought you might say that about the freezer!  I use the refrigerator daily to slow down the cure in the summer.

Dave
You might also try spreading your batch out in a plastic reservoir like a cookie sheet, it will last much longer than in a cup.
Warren:  I always mix epoxy in a cup, then pour the goo into a plastic tray, much like a cafeteria tray.  What I was asking about was a way to preserve some mixed up epoxy filler and keep it for days, not just an hour or two.

Dave
Dave, I know the feeling.  It would be nice to have some filler ready to go for a few minutes of filling screw holes or other nicks and dents.  I bought a set of plastic measuring spoons that I use to make batches of epoxy with filler, as small as 3/8s of a table spoon of epoxy before the wood flour is added, and do it that way.  It mixes very quickly and then a pinch or two of wood flour or whatever and you have what you are after.  Suprisingly I have never had a bad batch mixing that way.  Just two 1/8 tbls of resin, one of hardener and a pinch or two of filer and you have what you are ready to go.  Takes less time then waiting for something to unthaw even of freezing the mix were possible.

I know I should be more organized, leave the small holes and nicks to do a lot of filling at a time, but there are days I can only spend 1/2 an hour in the shop so a bit of sanding or filling fits in those moments.  Not sure this helps but don't lets very smal batches worry you they are very easy to make in just a few minutes.
I use syringes for very small batches. I'm fortunate to have a medical supply outfit near by for much of these types of things, but I've found that the local vet (where I take the wife) has much better syringes for my needs.

They are larger "bore" and don't have metal needle tips. Some have plastic (even slightly curved) tips that can be used with them too. The curve ones are cool. You can squirt someone from around a corner without them knowing where it came from.

Because they are big bore and plastic. they can be easily cleaned. A quick flex and the dried goo comes right out, usually as a crushed cylinder looking thing. I've found it's best to just clean them with vinegar and solvents though. Because I buy them wholesale from my vet, they don't cost much.

Here's a small sample of what's available.
http://www.calvetsupply.com/category/Feeding_Syringes

I usually can get several applications out of each one, before it's completely plugged and needs to be tossed. I'm getting them for 25 cents a crack, but full retail still makes a small box of them cheap. Talk with your wife's doctor or see your local vet for a deal.