BYYB Forums

Full Version: Dinghy Tillers for Dummies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK guys, I need a simple way for attaching the tiller to our new OSS dinghy. The plans say to lash it through holes in the top of the transom and the skeg. I don't like this idea. What exactly are pintels and gudgeons? Is this what I need? What other simple method is there for attaching the tiller? I want to be able to remove it for rowing.

The boat is almost finished. We are planning the launching for this weekend.

Thanks.

David
[Image: RL358-G.jpg]

This is a Race Lite set for a small (thin) rudder. There are several types, depending on rudder thickness and transom mounting. This particular set is about 20 bucks and way better then any home made, cobbled together from hardware store stuff, thing that you might imagine. Some might have you believe you can make them from your mom's old apron or lawn chair webbing, but trust me, you don't want the rudder flopping around too much and these work especially well for not much money.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/index.htm

Have a look here and find a set that meets your needs.
Thanks Paul. Once again you have entertained my ignorance. ;D

I think I'll order a set
There are about as many variations on "do-it-yourself" pintles as there are home builders.

One that I like but haven't tried - although many others have - is this one made from seat-belt webbing.
http://www.simplicityboats.com/pintgudgalt.html

There's a nice write-up showing lots of options as well on the PuddleDuck site
http://www.pdracer.com/rudder/index.htm
Having had the displeasure of seeing my rudder rapidly departing the general area of the boat I can tell you that being a ship without a rudder is not just a metaphoric phrase.  Granted my rudder blade fractured but loosing one to hinge failure results in the same end result.  In general, the engineering and fabrication of a home designed rudder system does have have intrinsic satisfaction but will prove to be not cost effective over the life cycle of the vessel.  As a home builder and a practicing engineer I recommend you go with the recommended Duckworks parts and be safely done with it.  Nothing turns off  the crew like parts falling off the boat.  Then again, if you suffer from too much crew that may be your answer.  8) 8) 8)
I actually had my rudder fall off my Bolger designed sailing pirogue in Lake Simcoe a number of years ago.

The setup for that boat used eyebolts with a rod between them - one of the eyebolts had become loose.

Fortunately we paddled to shore which just happened to be in the middle of a fair, had some ice cream, fixed the boat and resumed our journey.

To this day both my son and I believe that if you are going to be ship-wrecked, doing it somewhere where there is ice cream is ideal  ;D
Gudgeons and pintles are one thing I did not bother to try and make. It is true that you can buy a nice set for not much money and they are worth way more than you pay for them. The rudder is one of those things you'd like to make as infallible as possible.
Buy the Racelite product.  I bought the Weekender rudder hardware and I couldn't be happier.  Saved a lot of work.

Dave