BYYB Forums

Full Version: Interlux solvents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After getting snookered to the tune of $12.00 a pint for Interlux's "special" thinner 216, only to discover when it arrived that the only listed ingredient in the stuff is Xylene,  I'm wondering what the Interlux Brushing Liquid is, for $10.00 a pint?  Mineral spirits?  Sheesh!

Dave
Yep, it does help to read the labels. Xylene at my local Ace Hardware is about 15 bucks a gallon. I haven't fooled with the latest Interlux "specialty agents" but a brushing liquid sounds like it might be a wetting agent, so it'll have a few different things in it, including some spirits.

If there was ever a fire marshal to step into the foot of my garage, I'd be pretty well screwed. One look at the concoction of chemicals there and he pee himself trying to get out. I have gallon containers of stuff you've never heard of, including a few cans of stuff that's long since been banned or illegal to own. Some are leaking too.
I just don't get it ?  When our Weekends are built we then cover them in fiberglass and finish to the best of our ability, some better then others and paint.
Should be not more difficult then masking and spraying a Corvette.

Alan
I don't know about you, but have you masked and squirted a Corvette? You need at least three different chemicals and you'll squirt some of the most sophisticated multi-part paint made.

More directly, yes is can be much simpler, but many, particularly novices want the best they can put on their baby, which often leads down a precarious, complicated path. It actually takes experience to say to yourself, "it's good enough" . . .
Don't worry about the containers of chemicals Paul.  In the 70' and 80's in  Montana you could buy dynomite at a local harware store if you had a valid Montana Drivers license to show you were an adult.  I use to have a box of it in a root cellar type, earth integrated structure on the property.  A lot of people did.  They used it to blow tree stumps or remove rock.  They had a program where you could call in and the local Nationla guard would send a team out to pick up the stuff so it is not as prevelent as it use to be.  The dynomite was used when I cleared a coulee area to build a small park for my daugther to play in.  At the time I was hauling water for the house and didn't have any place with grass for my daugther to play so I cleaned up about 1200 sq ft of a coulee between the house and my shop.  I built a small shed type building, with an arbor attached, planted 2 apple trees, a plum tree and dug a 14'x17'x4' pond in the center with a water fall.  The area where I live has about a foot of dirt on top of 1000' feet or more of sandstone so drilling and blasting the sandstone provided enough depth of soil to allow for the trees, grass and pond.  I use to have dozens of bags of the fertilizer they no longer let you buy also.  I used the last of the fertilizer about 2 years ago.

When I worked a year didn't pass without someone calling in about the WWII german grenades, or mortor rounds they would find in their dad's garage or attic, after the dad died and they were cleaning out his stuff.  I remember the night a guy brought 6 of those old grenades into the police station and asked if he could leave them with us.  They were the ones with the wood handles and tops that kind of looked like a can of soup.  The Sergeant on duty took them and put them in a safe in the Chiefs office.  It is my understanding that the Chief was not very happy in the morning.  They issued a statement, at briefing the next day, that such things needed to be taken to our ammunition bunkers instead of keeping them at the station.  I thought the idea of putting old munitions in the trunk of my car and driving over bumpy gravel roads was a bit risky.  Fortuantely we never had a bad incident with such things but only amazingly good luck can account for that.

Good times, Good times.
Paul;  I've restored a number of Chevys in my time as a hobby with all the tools and knowledge, a "66 SS 396 Chevelle",  "72" and two 80's El Camino's and a few Chevy pick-ups for friends and "No" I have never "masked & squirted" a Corvette.  El's with full chrome take five hours to mask and paint three coats, I don't belive our Weekender will take that long to paint when finished.
Everyone here does the best they can and so will we.

Alan
I didn't keep a real accurate time on my masking and painting but it was longer then 5 hours if you count the light sanding between each coat.  I probably have 3 hours  on the hull bottom and sides.  I put on 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of Seattle grey Brightside on the bottom and sides up to the first rubrail then 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of yellow Brightside between the first and second rubrail.  The top and cockpit area of the boat probably have about 10-12 hours of masking, sanding and painting and the trim another 2 hours so maybe 15-17 hours total?  The bulk of that time was in masking and sanding.  I didn't think it was difficult just time consuming.  Just kept at it until it looked ok.
Terry;  Thanks for the information, not just you but everyone here.  I'm 26 hours into the build of "JoeDee's Song", keel in the cradel, floor cut, screwed and glued, 1x6" panel stringers and 1x4' panel joint screwed and glues.  With any luck I can finish the floor stringers and cut the cabin and forward bulkheads tomorrow.
        Thanks again

Alan
nice keep it going man! dont stop it's a bad thing lol good luck alan