BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tinting primer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm about ready to prime the hull.  I'm using Interlux Pre-Kote, followed by Interlux Brightside paint in Flag Blue (yes, another blue boat!)  I bought a gallon of the Pre-Kote in white, because the cockpit will be white in addition, and the price was the same as 3 qts. bought seperately.  My concern is covering the white primer with the very deep blue paint.  I should probably tint the Pre-Kote.  What should I use to tint?  Is gray primer dark enough?

Dave
Pre-tinting is done to control the "hue" of the color, if I can stretch that word as far. A white base under the Flag Blue will make the blue "pop" a little. It'll seem slightly brighter essentially. If you paint the blue over a gray base, then it will slightly darken and decrease the "crispness" of the Flag Blue.

Sometimes this is what you want, but for the most part, you'll have to apply at least two coats in either case, so what's the difference. Personally, I think the Flag Blue will look better over white. BrightSides can be more translucent then other paints, so don't be surprised if two coats doesn't get it done. It would be the same deal with a gray base coat, just not as dramatic.
Thanks, Paul... I'm happy with the status quo.  I'll post after I paint.

Dave