BYYB Forums

Full Version: 2nd Launch At Last!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the trauma of last year's maiden voyage (check the archives if you care), I had a long list of things that I wanted/needed to fix and change.

The main thing that I changed was to reduce the size of my lines from 3/8".  They now run smoothly through my hardware store blocks and the sails both go up AND down when I wanted them to.  I also re-did my pintles to have the rudder not so far away from the stern post and re-did the rudder down-haul so that it pulls forward first and doesn't bind.

Also, last year's launch was done in about 20 knots of wind.  This morning I launched at around 10:00am and was on the water for a couple of hours there was a very light breeze that built to maybe 7 knots at times.  I still have to cut my grass and there's a chance of gusty winds this afternoon so I picked my time that I was happy with.

I was able to tack after a couple of tries to get the hang of it.  I used the methods I'd been told - loosening the jib sheet and when stuck in irons, reversing the tiller, pushing the sail over and backing up.

The ramp I use is quite shallow so I'd added a large pneumatic trailer jack wheel and another winch to the trailer.  When I got to the ramp, I hooked the winch cable to the car, dropped the wheel on the trailer toungue and pushed the trailer out far enough.  An unforseen "benefit" was all the splashing the winch handle did as it spun around.  This worked just super for launching and retrieving.  My car's rear tires never even got wet.  It did add some time to the launch/retrieval, but not much and I could push the trailer out as far as I wanted.

Much happier now and can't wait to get out again.
        Glad to hear you got your boat out Andrew..  I can't wait to finish mine, I'm getting ready to glass the top, I already have everything else built and varnished except the rear taft rail and six porthole rings.  " I can't figure out how to make 2 of something the same, let alone 6",...  I don't think I'l get the boat finsihed this summer as were going on vacation in a week and when I come back I start school again on the 16th of August... "LVN Nursing Program",, so I'm gonna be busy...
      Hi Andrew, glad your back on the water and having fun that's what it is all about. I have been making a list of my costs in building my Vacationer, a little over $3000 including the trailer will post it when I finalize it. Like you I used hardware blocks, my thinking being I can replace them later if needed. I also saved a lot buying on Craigs List, 6 hp Evinrude $300, two anchors $25, set of sails from a 38ft boat for $50, had 2 jibs and the main made from the spinker and sold the rest for $200. just a few of my better buys. What do you think you have in your boat, I think people thinking of starting the process would be interested in our experiences, I fully expected something over $5000.
                                              enjoy your sailing,  Keith

Good news, Andrew. You deserve to have fun with that boat.
Great news Andrew, glad the second adventure was less eventful. The summer is still young, and I hope you can get out often.

Keith, my Vacationer build came in at about $4500 seven years ago. I also used hardware store blocks, and have been replacing them each year. I figure they'll all be changed by next season. I've slowly added stuff to the boat over time, electrics, VHF radio, solar charger, porta head, 2 sets of tarp sails, and newest set of dacron sails, etc. The expenses are gradual over the seasons, and there's the standard, annual paint, and varnish work. All in the fun of sailboat ownership.

Greg
Keith - As you might know from my postings on these issues, I used polyester resin, construction adhesive and standard exterior plywood on my boat along with "hardware store" fittings.  A lot of the fittings I got at my local farm supply store - which is a fabulous place (in my opinion) for quality, long lasting but not fancy parts.  Lumber for my mast came out of my younger brother's scrap lumber pile.

My cost at launch was roughly $1800 Cdn (about $2.75 US$ ;P) plus trailer which I purchased new.

Since then I've perhaps put another $75 into it.

Funny thing is that when I built my MiniCup 9 years ago, it cost me $1500 - much of which was the cost of the epoxy.
Have Fun Andrew!