BYYB Forums

Full Version: Through-the -transom tiller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just finished my tiller, through the transom and lazarette.  Also the tiller is bolted to the rudder box for removal, replacement or modification.  Here are some photos.

Dave
How easy is it to remove or tilt vertically?
Paul:  Removal is simple.  It is necessary to remove the rudder box first, after loosening the bolts that connect the tiller to the box.  The tiller just slips out.  Vertical play is minimal, but I'm thinking of adding a "joint" in the tiler to allow me to fold it up vertically and out of the way.  I can work on a prototype while the current tiller steers the boat!

Dave
On the occasions I've brought tillers through the transom, they all had a joint to permit it to be raised vertically. It can be a very handy feature.
This may seem like a dumb question, Dave. I've seen similar cut out settees in the aft portion. Do I see a lip around the open area for slats or seat tops of some kind? I can see the benefit of the open area 'neath for more leg room but I was just curious. Also, how many degrees of swing do you have with the thru the transom? The opening looks rather small, but I'm sure you've accounted for that. I do actually like the smaller opening if it doesn't hurt the amount of turning. BTW, she is pretty!

capnpablo
Paul:  The seating mod is patterned after Barry Pyeatt's idea.  Search for "seating mod" and Barry's name in the forums for photos.  It does improve legroom.  I'm working on the slat seats now.  I'll post when done.  With regard to the rudderbox throw, it's exactly the same as it would be using the wheel:  defined by the opening cut in the transom.  There is no loss of rudder arc.

Dave
Greetings,

Most rudders stall at deflections more than 35 degrees from center, so a total tiller arc of 70 degrees total from stop to stop is more than sufficient.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom:  Nice to have an engineer on board!  My rudder arc is 72 degrees...more than adequate.  BTW, how's your boat coming?  Haven't seen any recent photos despite monitoring your website?

Dave
Greetings Dave,

Paul is the engineer and naval architect.  I just remember everything.

Progress on the boat has stalled for lack of time. I currently have a crushing work schedule (15 hours yesterday, saturday!) and I am over-training for a team criterium bicycle race. My racing team from last year all turned professional and I want to remain an amateur, so I accepted a recruiting offer from a rival team which came with a one million dollar signing bonus ... provided I get my weight down to 190 lbs. Just seven pounds to go. They can't possibly pay up, but I do like a challenge and will accept an IOU, just in case any of them ever win lotto. 
Big Grin
I will resume ernest work on the boat in August and will get the boat in the water this year.

Cheers,
Tom
If you get the signing bonus, hire me to build you a boat . . .
Pages: 1 2