BYYB Forums

Full Version: Aluminium straps for fix the rudder?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi people!
This my question..... in plans of "Vacationer" the ruder is fixed with aluminium straps. Why? this is an fuse  to prevent breakage of sternpost?
What hapend if I use stainless steel? I wont use staniless steel but the plans say "aluminium"...

Thaks in advance!

Marcelo.

pd: I seek in the forum about this but don´t found this... excuseme by my poor english.
Three reasons.  The Aluminum is lower in cost and easier to work with than Stainless.    Aluminum is easier to find than Stainless Steel.  Drilling holes in Aluminum is easy, drilling holes in Stainless Steel can be very difficult.
Thanks Barry!

I have doubt becouse in plans of Vacationer the  author use galvanized straps (except in rudder ), its seems a strongest option than aluminium.

The Galvanized straps are commonly available at hardware stores and are less expensive than aluminum or Stainless Steel.  Most of the things that The Stevenson's have done with their boat designs are for economy reasons for the average builder.  Galvanized straps will work, they are easy to drill out and should last for a long time.  Commercial boats use Galvanized Steel because it lasts.  Just remember that Galvanized is not the same as Zinc plated.  Zinc plated will begin to rust quicker than all of the others.
Why not use the hinge kit from Duckworth??  Super robust and very strong...