BYYB Forums

Full Version: Just Checking In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I thought I would jot down a quick note to let all of you know that I haven't fallen (sailed) off the edge of the Earth.

I am still building my Weekender and have made very slow progress over the past couple of months due to work and our family vacation. But I am still very much on board (no pun intended) with my boat project. Have been saving up for good lumber - I gave up on the whole Luan thing after completely wearing out the subject with anyone who would listen to my crazy cheapskate ideas. I have also been studying the plans and watching the video - man, I'm sure glad I paid the extra money and got the video! every time I watch this thing I say: "wow, this is really simple". I guess eventually I will actually start to believe myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I am still very much in the game. I hope to have some pictures to send soon. Have a great summer.

Kindest Regards,

David Oelker
David...sounds like you are right on track...

After buying the plans I went through many months of reading...watching the dvd's...reading...asking questions...watching the dvds again and again...

I then bought wood...and cut out my keel parts...which then sat for 6 weeks...I am a teacher...so the last month of school, plus a day of sailing lessons left me with one day a week to just be a dad...so no building...

Now that school is out...all the ply parts for first few phases are cut out...and today I went back and glued up the keel...

Tomorrow it will be a boat "cart" that a builder suggested to me...and then it will be the hull bottom...I also need to clean up the keel because it was pretty roughly cut...

My point is...the build will happen when it is right...and you will enjoy it when you are ready...I am really enjoying the build so far...and I am glad that I took the time to read, watch the dvds and ask questions...

I will watch for your build...you can check mine out at my wood working site...lumberjocks.com:

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/16310

matt
Can anyone let me know the exact lenght of the floor from bow to stern, I seem to have a two inch diffetence and can't find my mistake.
Thanks

Alan
Alan have you cut the notch in the stem?  That might be your 2".  On the Vacs and I believe the Wkndrs also there is a notch that the bottom slides into to receive the fwd side stringers.  This is where the sides attach to the stem.  You didn't say long or short so I assume long with this suggestion.  Are the widths at the station lines correct along the sides?
I notched the stem and Im long, overall lenth of floor and outside pieces of keel are right on.  If I notch the floor 1'x2 1/4' to slide forward and trim the back of the floor by another inch for the transom will that make a big difference?
Thanks

Alan
Hi Allen,
I can't measure mine, it's almost done but looking at the plans I figure 155 3/4 inches overall,
from the joint in the bottom 62 1/4 inches aft and 93 1/2 inches forward.
Hope this helps you narrow it down.

Dan
Dan;
Got that on the mark, what you got for floor lengh?
Thanks

Alan
Allen, sorry but I misinformed you , When lofted and cut out correctly the hull bottom will measure 155-3/4.
If it's different than that it's probably at the stern end.
Is the deadwood  in place on the keel?

Dan
See if this link helps...its the Weekender FAQ on the MessinAbout Forum:

http://www.messing-about.com/2009/05/wee...plans-faq/

Matt
Matt, I checked out your blog. Very nice progress on your boat. Looks like you are on your way.

David