BYYB Forums

Full Version: "The Crack Sound"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read about some of you hearing a "Crack Sound" when the floor is laid down on the Keel and I heard it today and thought "O S--T" this thing will never float, the "crack sound " came from one of the 3" strips of plywood at the seam where the two sheets of plywood butt together, probably nothing to worry about.
I'm 19 hours into the build with Keel complete with floor and deck notched and sanded, floor cut and dry fit, looks good so far.

Have "A Cold One"
            Alan
The dreaded cracking sound..  Oh ya,  I've only experienced it once and that was when I was attaching the transom to the top deck.  I was winching the top deck to the transom because I had a gap about 1" and I heard this awfull cracking sound..  it was my keel cracking in half at the skinniest point..  To fix it I had to spread the crack out and fill with epoxy and then had to put tention against the crack and left it to bond for about 3 days..  It's very solid now.
As long as it doesn't make that sound while you're sailing....
I heard 2 load cracks while building my boat.  Neither of them came at a time when I was in the act of stressing the wood or boat.  In both cases I was doing something on the work bench next to the boat.  I think they came from the layers of plywood popping internally.  I could not find and have not seen any cracks.  One place I suspect is the nose piece.  On my boat, a Triad, that piece has a shallow bend, fore to aft, as well as the aft edge being bent port to starboard over the top of the front bulkhead.  I used big quik clamps to bend the aft edge of the nose piece in place and screwed it down, starting in the center and working out.  I checked the joints where the nose piece and bulkhead connect as well as the bulkhead connections and there are no cracks.  I have checked every joint or seam on  the boat, using back lighting and force where possible, for cracks and none are evident.

I cracked the top coaming, around the cockpit edge, while gluing and screwing it in place.  I changed the design, reducing the 1"x3" cockpit stiffeners, to 1"x2" stiffeners and added 1"x1" coamings.  I used some left over pieces of stika spruce, for those coamings, because the left overs were the right size, and within inches of length.  Of the 4 pieces of coaming around the cockpit only one cracked.  It was easy to fill the crack, with the epoxy and wood flour I had mixed to glue the coaming, and adding a bit of the goo to the outside if the curve allowed me to shape the area of the crack.  Left bright it would be a scar but these get painted watermellon pink.
I heard the "crack" stepping into the cockpit, with the bottom and the keel supported.  No visual damage of any kind.  I suspect the sound came from the bottom-keel joint and may be release of internal plywood stresses along the curve of the bottom.  Never heard it since, after multiple entries into the cockpit.  Never seen a crack or defect.  Oh well!

Dave