BYYB Forums

Full Version: Steering and other things "fixed"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spent some time on the boat over the last few days doing some changes and getting things ready to relaunch.

One thing I had concerns with was with my turnbuckles loosening while under way and while trailering.  To solve that, I've put a nut and lock-washer on one side that I can tighten down.  I discovered to my annoyance though that I must have distorted the threads on the aft turnbuckles as niether of them would accept a nut - I managed to strip one in the process.  The place where I'd originally bought my turnbuckles no longer carried the same ones so the fore and aft no longer match - but they should work.

The second thing that I did which only took a few minutes once I got to it was to re-hook up my steering.  I had re-set the pintle eye-bolts some time ago to reduce the gap between the rudder and stern-post but still had to hook the lines up inside.  Previously I had used a turnbuckle here which took up quite a bit of space and also fell apart when needed so I've replaced it with a clever block/cleat combination I found.  It should work well and allows for one-handed tightening as necessary.
Andrew:  I may incorporate some of your ideas.  Please see my post from today.

Dave