BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pre-drilling some pilot holes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone..."PB&J" has had a good first couple of days...ahhh summer...

I just found out that the screws I ordered wont arrive until next Weds...so I was thinking to speed things up when they arrive...what if I pre-drilled SOME of the wholes so when the screws arrive glue up will be a little easier...After gluing I could just screw in the screws in the wholes???

If not good to do on every thing---how about just the first few holes so that I have a quick anchor screw...??

Okay...I have lots of other things to do...so I will be busy either way...but I was thinking if I cut out a lot of the pieces today then I will have some time and it will make the glue up days a bit easier...

Matt
Matt:  Nothing wrong with drilling a few holes to anchor a part while installing.  In fact, when you put up the sides you HAVE to anchor them!  8 foot plywood panels are a bit awkward!

Dave
Another tip:  If you can afford to, make the stringers a bit wider than the 1" called for in the plans.  At least those for attaching the side panels.  My experience is that you'll need to do a lot of shaping and sanding to fair the top and bottom stringers to the same plane before installing the sides.  This will thin out the stringers substantially (or maybe not so much if you're better than I am!).  If too thin, even a 1" screw will "poke through" the inside of the stringer.  It happened to me!  I used 1" screws.  3/4" screws don't hold as well, and the side to stringer joint is structural, so do yourself a favor.  It may be a little tougher to bend the stringers to shape if they're wider, but they should go OK.

Dave
dave that makes a lot of sense...I will look at the stringers...wishing I did not cut them all out at the beginning  like i did...they have not worked as battens the way i hoped...using something else as my batten...
Just be carefull which way you orient your battens, I did my floor battens the wrong way, it still works but more headaches down the road.
Mike:

Floor battens?? 
A thought occured to me today, while I was measuring a curved piece of plywood vaneer that I wanted to attach around the radius of a cabinet corner.  I remembered your posting this question and thought I would predrill some holes so that when I was gluing the ply in place I could just apply epoxy and then screw it down to hold it while the epoxy dries.  I will remove the screws after it sets.  There is a small trim board that will cover the screw holes.

The thought was if I drill the holes in both the plywood and the curved supports won't the holes no longer line up after applying the epoxy?  If done right the layer of epoxy should be a 1/16"-3/32" layer.  On a curve that might be enough to offset the holes.  I decided to just drill the holes in the plywood and not the curved supports.

The reason I bring this up here is if you are considering predrilling the holes along the boat sides sinbse they curve it might cause you some concern.  On a flat surface it would not be an issue.  Sorry if this comes to late to be of use.
I agree, Terry.  I wouldn't drill all the holes, just a couple to hold the piece in place like a couple of extra pair of hands!

Dave
I've found any time you attempt to pre-plan or align, things, you need exceptional setup.

When it comes to glue and epoxying things into place, dry runs are the best and only real way to insure you haven't missed (or screwed up) something. I do several dry runs to make sure I have the tools I need, prep is complete, where things will live during the process (clamps, epoxy pot, etc.). It's a lot cheaper to do this then the inevitable Chinese fire drill that occurs when you haven't got everything you need in place. Opening drawers and cabinets, looking for things with wet epoxy dripping off you isn't the best way to do things.

So, in this vain, pre-drilling assemblies is fine, but you better be ready when the goo is wet. I've found most novices don't preform the most diligent of pre-glue run prep, so take the time and get it setup so it goes together smoothly, in a well rehearsed ballet.
Thanks guys---every comment is really good advice...I posted the question right after I got an e-mail that my SS screw shipment wold not be in until next weds---and I would have some down time between my parts cut outs and my glue up...I think I was a bit overzealous in my thinking as I still have some more parts to cut out and Warren brought up a really good point---these would be good times to look ahead in the plans and mayybe do some of the other smaller components...

When he reminded me of that I realized I also have lots of other projects that I could work on outside of the boat...lol...

But I really like the idea of planning out and having some dry runs...I have never worked with epoxy at all ...so instead of doing the big glue ups like in the video I think I will start with some of the smaller stringers that are straight (like bulkheads) and not to mention before that I will play with mixing and doing some scrapwood projects to practice with the epoxy and different mixtures...

Thanks for everything...I really appreciate the help...I have been woodworking a few years---but this is a whole new adventure and having you guys along for the ride is great...

Matt